• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere - The Canadian Experience

Share/Bookmark

Talking Omnisphere - The Canadian Experience

This is for other Canuck's wondering about the upgrade process...

Finally finished my quad core build and pulled the trigger on the Omni upgrade.
    It goes for $249.00 on the site, but I was a bit hesitant as to whether exchange rates, taxes, shipping and duties would accrue to the point of requiring an appointment with my bank manager.

I am quite pleased to report the exchange rate was good, there was no GST, PST or any other wretched "ST" applied, and to my complete delight, no duty or customs brokerage fees to try and choke down like a liver and onion milkshake.

I had it shipped the deluxe method: "Expedited" - cost a bit more, but I'd waited long enough to upgrade already. So a few extra days would have killed me.
    The tracking facilities on the UPS site are brilliant, and allowed me to watch it's movements throughout the US to the minute. Totally amazing stuff!
    It arrived bang on time first thing this morning!

So, any other fellow Canadian virtual instrumenteers reticent about running the guantlet often accompanying Stateside purchases, here's one instance where it all went like buttah. Even got an e-mail from Spectrasonics saying they'd cover the duty if there was any.
    Classy!

As for the installation....

No problems to report...except I hadn't really paid attention to how long it is indicated to take...and about halfway through I forgot what I was even installing.
    Lordy, I've done full system rebuilds from wiped hard drives that didn't take this long. The manual ain't kidding about 5 hrs. If you're on your main machine, budget for a full day because you'll need to take time out between disks to do other things like check email, yadda yadda.
    For some reason, even though task manager indicates scant resources being used while it's installing, the comp acts like the CPU is pegged at 90%. You can't do bugger all else on the comp....a feeling reinforced by the terror of fragging the ginormous install and having to start all over.

The last DVD spit out, I fired up Cubase and got her all auth'd, regged and updated, and there we are.....Welcome to the Omnisphere.

Only had about 20 minutes to play with it so far 'cause I'm too knackered and ready for bed. Tomorrow I'll light this candle and take it into orbit.

Here's hoping future versions of Omnisphere come on a hard drive...or even a 64gig jump drive.

QuBe.
    P5Q Pro, Q9400, GTS250, 4G Kingston, 3x WD320, Axiom 49, Cubase 4, Atmosphere, SoV, Philharmonik, HALion3, WaveLab, Absynth, Omnisphere

Re: Omnisphere - The Canadian Experience

Welcome to the club! I am sure you will enjoy your time in orbital mode!
    It is a lot of data but installing time is totally depending on the drive you use.
    Took me about 30 minutes per disk but with a more recent drive people are reporting installtimes of down to 10 minutes per disc and less.

Just wait til you get lost in the zone-time flies when you start playing with it!

So, any other fellow Canadian virtual instrumenteers reticent about running the guantlet often accompanying Stateside purchases, here's one instance where it all went like buttah. Even got an e-mail from Spectrasonics saying they'd cover the duty if there was any.
    Classy!

You're lucky. When I ordered my upgrade to Trilian, it was $99 off the Spectrasonics site. By the time it got to me, Canadian customs slapped another $50 in duties on it, the bastards.
    It really is a crap shoot though, because most things I order from the States come thru "unspoiled"

Have fun.

Dan
    What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler View Post
    Welcome to the club! I am sure you will enjoy your time in orbital mode!
    Thanks.
    I've had Atmosphere and SoV for a few years now.
    Omni seems to do a good job of merging the two.

It is a lot of data but installing time is totally depending on the drive you use.
    Took me about 30 minutes per disk but with a more recent drive people are reporting installtimes of down to 10 minutes per disc and less.

I was wondering about that.
    The fifth disk was brutal...at times I thought the install had hung.
    Then, disk six just spun up and took no more than 15 minutes. Still dropped about 8 gigs of data. Must be irregularities in the dual layer media or something.

Ever since my old Plextor passed away, I can't stand optical media and don't use it much. Too slow and limited capacity. With an eSata dock, I use hard drives like I did floppies years ago.

QuBe.

I copied all the Omni data on to an external drive first and it cut down the install by hours.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I copied all the Omni data on to an external drive first and it cut down the install by hours.
    Dang.
    Good tip....(the kinda thing I normally do actually).

Now that I've backed up the installed 45gigs to a separate HD, at least if that ever goes pear shaped I'll have this method to do a fast install.

Thanks.
    QuBe.
    P5Q Pro, Q9400, GTS250, 4G Kingston, 3x WD320, Axiom 49, Cubase 4, Atmosphere, SoV, Philharmonik, HALion3, WaveLab, Absynth, Omnisphere

Go Back to forum