• Register
  • Help

Topic: Legato-problem

Share/Bookmark

Legato-problem

Hi all,

I have two legato-problems, which seem to be related. I am trying to control the tonguing of the oboe, when playing from Finale.

First, the auto-legato on-off button, featured in the manual on pages 55 and 56, simply isn't there! It is there for, say, the flute, but not for the oboe.
    Second, when I use CC64 to control the legato, I get a lot of hanging notes. Once played, a note persists, regardless of its written length. Reminds me of the effect of a piano's sustain pedal.

It looks as if GPO thinks the oboe is a piano!
    Han Suelmann,
    Vista32, GPO4, COMB2, Finale 2009, Reaper, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 2.67 GHz.

Re: Legato-problem

Hi Hansuelmann,

Are you using the Oboe instrument from the Notation bank? When loading GPO programs inside of Finale make sure you select from the Notation banks instead of the standard banks. As this should resolve the hanging notes issues you are experiencing.

Cheers,
    Chad

Hi Chad,

Yes, I am using the notation instruments. For the "standard" instruments I do not have the problems I mentioned. The auto-legato button is there, and the hanging notes are not, presumably because the CC (intended for the notation instrument) simplymn isn't picked up.

Han
    Han Suelmann,

Hello, Han

What you're talking about is a common point of confusion for people. There's nothing wrong with your copy of GPO - you're just misunderstanding what the difference is between the notation set and the standard set.

Simply put - when you're using a notation program like Finale, you should always use the notation samples. When you're using a sequencer, like Sonar, you should use the standard set. The instruments sound exactly the same, but they're programmed differently.

The notation instruments have their legato controlled by cc68 and cc64 is for standard MIDI sustain, as you discovered from your example with the oboe.

But in the standard set of GPO samples, auto-legato is available and cc64 is used for manual legato. Cc68 doesn't control these instruments at all.

Randy

Aha! Thank you, Randy, for your response. I didn't get that from the manual. I know how to proceed now.

Han
    Han Suelmann,

Go Back to forum