• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Computer!!!

New Computer!!!

My new iMac just came in today - and wow - holy screen!!!

anyone out there have one? any pointers/concerns? this is my first mac desktop, so i'm pretty excited.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Unhappy Re: New Computer!!!

You lucky guy...

I used a Mac since 1989 (an Apple since 1984), my last "serious" one was a monster (expensive monster) 5 years ago, the G5 Mac Pro....

Today it's a slow old big alluminium case.

Later I did buy a Macmini. a true fault. Design is amazing as usual, but performance are very poor, and the DVD get broken soon, after nearly immediate malfunction.

Later I was planning to be back to a serious one...but....holy sh....such a price.

Actually I just buy an i7 2.8, 8Gb of RAM, 1Gb of Video card NVidia 220, 1T (in 2 500Gb HD, wonderful for samples streaming) full featured interfaces (including 8 USB, 7.1 surround, optical audio port, gigabit ethernet, g Wirless etc. etc.) for 890,00 Euros.

The iMac with less than one half of features was 1.600 euros...
    the Mac Pro with something more (ultimate 8 core architecture) and a lot less (little ram, little video ram, little HD, everything optional and expensive) was round 2.500 euros.

Well...you know what? This little Win7 64bit black box is a real amazing workstation, super fast, and pretty well working.

It's hard to say, but Apple probably won't have my money anymore. I can pay a premium/plus for the elegance of the design, the effective engineering and the beautyful, friendly, exciting OSX.

But guys, 2 up to 3 time the cost of a PC...it's not acceptable. At least for me.

After that enjoy your iMac: I think it's the better designed desktop ever, and using OSX is still the ultimate computer experience IMHO.

Re: New Computer!!!

Hey Keith and congrats!
    Di you purchase a 27 inch iMac? If so, there could be troubled waters ahead. 27 inch iMacs are having issues with screen flicker and a yellowing of the screen. There was a software fix a few weeks ago for the flickering, however it does not fully resolve the problem. Apple is rumored to have halted the production of 27 iMacs until the problem is fixed. You can read the latest about it here:

There is also an newer article out that I had not yet seen. A new firmware update was released today:

I'm sure things will get sorted, it is not typical of Apple to have these kinds of problems.

If you don't have a 27 inch iMac then no worries.

Enjoy the iMac! I really like mine!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Hi. I just bought a refurbished iMac, 24", 2.66 ghz - from Apple. $1100. I was a little nervous about refurb, but it has all the warranties -- and so far I really love it. I feel like I'm at a movie theatre! No bugs with the computer, but I also upgraded to Logic Express 9, bought JABB and so I've had a learning curve with the new software -- but I'm finally getting up to speed I think. The 27" was tempting!!

Congratulations! The only Mac I can get within my present budget is just a Mac, you know.

Go Back to forum