• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Yellow Tools Pure Drums/Pure Guitars - Any Good?

Share/Bookmark

Yellow Tools Pure Drums/Pure Guitars - Any Good?

Hello,

I am considering adding the Yellow Tools library of Pure Drums and Pure Guitars to my ever expanding libraries. Their demos sound nice, but I would love to hear from any users here who have the library. Or if you feel there are better alternatives, please let me know. Thanks!

Re: Yellow Tools Pure Drums/Pure Guitars - Any Good?

I have Pure Drums. I like the kits they are pretty good. and the Big Toms patch is fun to layer in on things. Its got some good all around kits and they grunge up well using the course tune topitch them down...and \"electro\" out pitching them up

I tend to like a \"bigger\" room sound for my more rock/alt music. I tend to use real Giga Drums for that sound...but I hate the hi hats in RGD.

I useclearmountain drums the least...but they are fun to layer in on

DrumKit from hell soudns like it might be a good kit for heavy metal.

At risk of being like everyone else here, I\'ll mention that I also have my own sampled drum kit (that I still haven\'t fully progrmmed/edited...cuz I\'m lazy)...that fixes *some* of these issues I have with the other libraries...still I think If Donnie an dChristian get to the masive drum kti library their planning .. AND THEY GIVE US ROOM/OVERHEAD control like RGD It will kick everyones *** . if they dont give us that control I have a feeling it will still kick our *** , but will frustrate some users in the end...as with ALL sample libraries

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

\"I tend to like a \"bigger\" room sound for my more rock/alt music.\"

A fellow rocker! Hey if you don\'t mind, what instruments are you using GigaStudio for in your music? Currently I\'m still working on my \"sound\". I have been for almost a year now. My \"band\" is 100% virtual. Thanks for the reply about Pure Drums, I like the sound of their rock drums demo. Seems to be a good pop rock sound I\'m looking for.

I do all kinds of music, but on my \"own\" time lately I\'ve been focusing on getting some electronic rock (Stabbing Westward,Depeche Mode...basically Mope Rock)songs together so I can start playing live again.... I just miss it..

Anyhow. I play guitar and the bass I \"fake\" by playing one as well...just not... well Anyhow, since most of it isn\'t slapped I can get away with playing it myself

This means that there aren\'t any guitars in my sample library...tho I\'m thinking of samplign myself to have soethign to \"put togehter\" songs without having to play them when I\'m actually working the songs out. Might be easy with some samples of distorted 5ths, tritones.....4hs...and 3rds heheee...hmmm soudns like it\'ll be more work than I thought

Anyhow...I use my Roland XP-30 to get some basic sounds out and sequence melodies/synth riffs, then tweak the living caca out of them with plug ins and effects.

As for the Rock Kit in Pure Drums. Its a good kit...actually all the kits are good...its jsut that they all have a very \"tight\" sound...which is fine alot of the time...but I like that \"live room\" sound...its jsut growing up playing in bands that did that to me. Most of the kit takes well to being thrown in reverb. except the kick drums...as with most any drum machine or sample...If I were going to get more room sound out of the Pure drum keeps, I would throw the kit through some reverb without the kick drum, then track the kick seperately and only throw a filtered version through the reverb with the highs taken out,..and mix back the unfiltered version for punch...that would do it

You might like Drumkti from hell... I forget the website tho. I know you want a pretty heavy but produced sound. I\'ve heard a couple demos from this kit that show it can do that.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 08-23-2001).]

Hello KingIdiot,
    I heard the DrumKit from hell demos. Not too shabby, looks like they will be coming out with a Giga version soon. You didn\'t mention what you use GigaStudio for? I\'m assuming you use it for drums only? I think I\'m going to go with the Pure Drums. I currently have Sonic Implants drums, which are good, just not enough variety in the velocities. How many velocities on the hi-hats are there with Pure Drums? I\'m hoping for half open, quarter open, etc. I\'m doing a custom Guitar/Bass library session this weekend. I\'m hoping this will fill the holes in my sound library so I can start finalizing some music.

Check out \"Vintage Guitars and Tenor Banjos\" MP3\'s at www.bardstownaudio.com. Truly amazing!

\"Purrfect Drums\" from www.studiocat.com are worth checking out also.

sorry Munsie.

Well i use Giga mainly for Orchestral mockups, and Electronic backgrounds, but when I do \"rock\" stuff, its pretty much drums. Which I track to audio any number of ways depending on the sound I\'m looking for.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    sorry Munsie.

Well i use Giga mainly for Orchestral mockups, and Electronic backgrounds, but when I do \"rock\" stuff, its pretty much drums. Which I track to audio any number of ways depending on the sound I\'m looking for.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the combination of rock music with lush Orchestral music has alot of potential. I\'ve always liked the mix of guitar and strings. Yah, I assumed you used Giga for the drums on your rock stuff.

Do you know how many layers (velocities) on the Pure Drums hi-hats and snares? Thanks for your comments.

Pure drums

each hi hat has 8 velocities and there are right and left hand triggers for the closed ones

right and left hits for snares and velocities in the kits

I say in the kits because there are also jsut snare instruments with 48 different samples of the snare at different velocities, allowing you to program jsut the snare on a seperate track. This allows for some realistic performances with some good programming.

Waht they should have done is to do the same with atleast the open hi-hats..since \"riding\" any cymbal that rings with samples seems to suck unless you have multiple samples of the same velocity

also like I said....I love the room soundc ontrol that RGD has.... it doesn\'t have enough velocity splits for me. RGD also has this weird Release trigger setup that I haven\'t really figured out yet. It only sems to be ood for playing faster rolls in realtime, and you have to get REALLY used to it...still it sounds nice when you actually get it to work right.....

as for Orchestral and rock..yah its pretty neat. I did a mockup demo a while ago fo a song that mixed really heavy guitars and orchestral sounds together....was pretty fun...

listening to it now Its way drenched in reverb..in fact I don\'t know what the hell I was thikning with the amount thats on it....I\'m pretty sure its just that I was tracking all the instruments fromt the keys and giga at once...but holy crap its drenched

I was aobut to post it and share...but..maybe I\'ll save myself the embarassment...I\'m gonna go dry off ...ok that was a bad joke I know..but the mix is soaked in verb.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

sorry for the double post.

All this drum talk ahs made me really fool with RGd.. and I found somethign interesting, there are multiple samples (2) of each of the velocities of the open hi hats...as well as differet amounts of space between the actual hi hats....and different strikes...

I find it strange taht these aren\'t in the \"hi hat instrument but only in the RGD Kit.not the GM (which I understand)...anyhow..I\'m a bit enlightened now,..and probably wont ahte the hi hats in RGD that much anymore...

now I have to make a new drum map...grrr....
    anyhow...this puts RGD a bit higher on my list of good drum libraries now... now only if the kits were as varied as Pure drums

dammit I new I put the instruction aside for a reason!!!!

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum