• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 winds

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 winds

I wrote a Wind Quintet a month or 2 ago and I'm really impressed with the sound of GPO woodwinds. The only thing missing is the clatter of the keys, and I can't say I miss that very much. A wind quintet doesn't show off many of the winds (and adds a horn, of course) but I think it gives a pretty good example of the GPO quality.

Here's the 3rd movement from the work - a pretty standard scherzo and "trio". In this case, the "trio is a Valse Burlesque. (I'm still stuck mid 19th century here.)

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...d=8706183&q=hi

Pat

Re: GPO4 winds

Very nice and creative. I like it.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Pat,

Your "clatter-less" chamber work was great ... I enjoyed it. Yes, those are some great sounds in GPO ... how much fun is it to create a piece of music and then hear it performed immediately? Pretty cool.

Regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    ... how much fun is it to create a piece of music and then hear it performed immediately? Pretty cool.
    In my case, a lot more than just "cool"! In my teens and 20's I tried plunking out things on a piano and writing them down. But I don't play the piano - new did; never will - so I never go very far. Lots of beginnings but nothing more than a few bars. So I gave up for 40 years!

Now, with the help of Sibelius and GPO I'm finally able to compose. I'm still really slow and have created hardly anything yet, but even one finished piece seems like a miracle after half a century of frustration.

Pat

Go Back to forum