• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: After 37 years, I am "retiring" from teaching

Share/Bookmark

Smile After 37 years, I am "retiring" from teaching

Here in Indiana, public schools are losing 3% or so of our general fund money. For my school system that means over $1 million dollars. Eligible teachers - almost 40 of us - have been offered an early retirement incentive plan.

I am only 58 and at first was not seriously interested. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed to make more sense to me.

I dearly love my job because of my kids, but I have been doing this 37 years. I do not want to retire not liking my job and wanting to get out. More importantly, I have so many things I can do with music to create income with that I have been wanting to do.

So . . . after meeting with the school CFO, the Indiana Teacher Retirement Fund counselor and my financial advisor I am doing it! My last day will be during the last week of May - depends upon any further snow days.

I will ramp up the marketing of my musicals to schools, do convocations for Indiana schools (one-man show about Indiana using my music), market other educational products like DVDs I will be creating, do school "Composer Visits", market a series of Indiana posters/banners for schools, and maybe open a music studio for private piano and voice.

So I am very excited to start Moman Part 2, but leaving my school home after 37 years is difficult. Some say I am an institution at Redding Elementary - a fifth grader yesterday said I was a relic! Tears have been already been shed and more will come as my students & parents find out, but I am at peace about it ( and honestly grieving about it). Next year will be my first year in 53 to not go to school. I will stay involved with my school doing a little volunteering now and then. I will help mentor the new music teacher if they desire it. Sadly, there is chance that music might be dropped from the elementary schools, but they hope to avoid it. If I had stayed, I might have had to add another school to my schedule and see the kids only once a week.

My wife is also going back to nursing after more than 20 years - not because of this alone - she had been wanting to get back in now that the kids are all gone. So lots of exciting changes for Susie and myself.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: After 37 years, I am "retiring" from teaching

Stages of retirement:

you miss them
    they miss you
    you miss them
    they miss you
    you miss them
    they don't know who you were
    you miss them
    eventually you don't have time to miss them....

and a new world enrolls before your eyes, freedom of doing more than you did before. From the early morning till late night.... and then you meet some friends and tell that you don't miss them, but remember them being part of a wonderful life.

Raymond

Well, congratulations! However with the following agenda:

I will ramp up the marketing of my musicals to schools, do convocations for Indiana schools (one-man show about Indiana using my music), market other educational products like DVDs I will be creating, do school "Composer Visits", market a series of Indiana posters/banners for schools, and maybe open a music studio for private piano and voice.
    It really doesn't sound like retirement, just a shift in job priorities. The students will be just as Raymond pointed out in his "stages of retirement".

There are so many more things out there and even us sheltered, day controlled public school teachers can learn to stop salivating at every bell we hear.

Good Luck!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

You're the same age as I am. I retired years ago - technically.

Bet you've never been to England. Come and visit England before it disappears.

If you have a defined benefits scheme you shouldn't have to worry too much about money.

The public sector workers in this country have no idea about what is going to happen to them in a few months time. They think they do - but they don't.

You are so right. That is why I put retiring in quotes.
    I have no interest in sitting, rocking and watching TV.
    We actually have not had TV in our house for a zillion years.

I made a list last night of things I want to do and will do.
    It is quite a list and I am thrilled to go at it while still youngish.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Well, it sounds to me that you are quite prepared for retirement. You are still young enough to do plenty of other things. So, do them, enjoy some freedom, doing things that suit you when you think the time suits you. I retired in 1974, never looked back, never regretted it. But I have not been idle all these years. A bit slack now, at age 78, but after this current vicious asthma flare, I expect to step up the pace again. The main considerations seem to me to be financial security, and satisfactory activity, including personal relationships, all of which you seem to have well in hand. So, by golly, full speed ahead!!

Richard

I didi the same thing in 1984.. I still mis the kids...but not the school...

I had only been teaching 30 years.. I don't regret taking their offer. Mine was in Illinois.. I still get Emails from some of the kids. Their kids are having kids!

You're not retiring - you're changing the sources of your income and joy. And it sounds like a fabulous opportunity! I know people who are/have been afraid to make that leap, but the ones who did have never regretted it. Bravo to you!

Enjoy it. You have a long list of plans, which is great. Keep us (who are looking at you with envy and longing) posted on how it goes.

Let the next act begin...

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

I am an early Indiana retirement. 55 and out is the only good thing that Evan Bayh ever achieved.

Everytime I think about leaving teaching and not being in the classroom I burst out in laughter.

I now write and edited music for only 60 hours a week. No Principals, No Deptartment heads, No Parents, no set hours, etc. What a way to go.

Good Luck

brsmith
    www.brsmusic.net

Charles,
    may numerous doors open for you,
    and may you be at peace with your decision.

Dan

Go Back to forum