• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonatina No6, Part 1 Opus 32 - Musio Clementi

Share/Bookmark

Sonatina No 6, Part 1 Opus 36 - Muzio Clementi

This is a light-hearted arrangement of one of Clementi's best known Piano Sonatinas.
    It was arranged for a College Prom, which accounts for the rather brash finale (it was requested by the youth orchestra leader as this was the last piece in their concert performance).
    This demo was rendered using Garritan GPO4 and the Finale Default Bank of Garritan Instruments.
    I hope you enjoy this somewhat tongue in cheek, but inoffensive arrangement http://www.box.net/shared/6j3f71hb0z

Re: Sonatina No6, Part 1 Opus 32 - Musio Clementi

Hi Alan,

That was too much ... tremendous performance! A great orchestration and a superb mix.

This was most enjoyable ... was it successfully performed by the live orchestra at the prom?

Also, was this created entirely in Finale?

Great job, Alan!

Regards,

Frank

Alan, I know this work as a sonatina for solo piano. I think your arrangement works really well, shaping the melodic lines gracefully.
    The slower tempo actually works well.
    Overall a delightful surprise!
    Eugene

Re: Sonatina No 6, Part 1 Opus 36 - Musio Clementi

Hello Frank and Eugene
    Glad you enjoyed the Clementi arrangement, and thank you both for taking the time to add your kind comments.
    The youth orchestra performance went very well thank you Frank. I only had to make a couple of minor changes during rehearsals, mainly to do with the sharing of the flute parts to sustain the melody line while the flutists tried to draw breath! Regardless of how meticulous I try to be over such practical things I find there is no substitute for being able to play the instrument you are writing for yourself. Finale Print Music and a laptop saved the day.
    Regarding my use of Finale, I only used it for notation at this time. I played the parts in from a MIDI keyboard into Cakewalk Sonar, and did the post-processing work using that DAW. I exported a MIDI file from Sonar and imported it into Finale to create and edit the written parts for the concert.
    Since then I have upgraded from Finale 2005 to Finale 2010 and I am now busy learning how to use Finale for both performance as well as notation.
    Kind regards
    Alan T

Hi Alan,
    what can I say other than "Bravo"?
    It made me start my working day with an addition of freshness (Italy is very cold in these days )
    Also the enjoyed the mix. Very good job.

Ps I noticed a typo: the right spellling of Clementi's first name is Muzio.

Regards
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: Sonatina No 6, Part 1 Opus 36 - Muzio Clementi

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    It made me start my working day with an addition of freshness
    Hello Fabio,

So pleased to hear this light-hearted arrangement brightened your day.

I’ve corrected the unfortunate spelling error where possible, but I can't change the original link to the thread.
    I’m not sure if it was a simple typo or more a Freudian slip!

I’m looking forward to visiting your beautiful country twice again this year.

Grazie mille

Alan T

Muzio great!!!! And then thinking of Mozart who didn't like Clementi at first, but later grew great admiration for Mr. Muzio C. Really a great performance and lifely piece of music.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Muzio great!!!! And then thinking of Mozart who didn't like Clementi at first, but later grew great admiration for Mr. Muzio C.
    Hello Raymond
    I wasn’t aware that Mozart had initially disliked Clementi’s work, that's interesting. I was aware that Debussy’s Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum, from his Children’s Corner suite, is a satirical piano composition poking fun at either Clementi's or Czerny's collection of works; no one seems quite sure which composer was actually in his firing line. I'm relieved that no one here though that I was trying to do the same.

Kind regards

Alan T

Quote Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
    Hello Raymond
    ... I was aware that Debussy’s Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum, from his Children’s Corner suite, is a satirical piano composition poking fun at either Clementi's or Czerny's collection of works; no one seems quite sure which composer was actually in his firing line. I'm relieved that no one here though that I was trying to do the same.
    Good heavens! It's clear you were having fun with the music, but I don't think it comes across as satirical at all. (But then, I didn't see the satire in the Debussy either, so what do I know? )

Pat

Go Back to forum