• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: EWQL Goliath?

Share/Bookmark

EWQL Goliath?

All Goliath users out there....

EW just came out with a great deal (50% off) on one purchase and I was interested in Goliath a year ago or so and then Omni came out and I got Komplete 5 etc. etc.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone can give me their opinion on Goliath and maybe a/b it with Morphestra for any owners of both.

Also I've heard quite a bit of negative feedback on the PLAY engine have these issues been rectified? I'm using Logic 9 64-bit and Ableton 8 primarily.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Regards,

big~C
    Mac Pro 8-Core, Logic 9, Ableton 8, Omni, RMX, Komplete, Samples-n-Samples, Speak-n-Spell, Schroeder's Piano, Mcpherson Guitars, and a Partridge Family 8-Track

Re: EWQL Goliath?

Big C,

I just upgraded my Colossus to Goliath after getting a new computer that had more horse power (went from P4 2.6ghz with 2 gigs of ram and XP 32 bit to an Intel Quad with 8 gigs of ram running Vista 64 bit). Goliath is pretty great for the upgrade price (I got in on one of the speacial Christams deals where I upgraded both Collosus and the EWQL Choirs for $99!)

The highlights of Goliath, for me, are the Bosendorfer 290, the acoustic guitar, some of the electric guitars and the voices. Almost everything is useable. Some of the ethnic instruments leave me wanting more (RA or Silk). The stormdrone synth morphs are OK but I rarely used them in Colossus.

Goliath won't replace all of your VST's. It is a workstation like product but would not negate you owning a more focused orchestral or ethnic lib. It really does have some great sounds though. Doug and Nick, like Eric Persing, have really good ears and know how to capture great sound.

As far as the Play engine goes so far so good but I haven't loaded it up and actually composed anything serious with it yet. There are not a lot of parameters to sculpt the sound with. In fact, I don't think you can send a snare drum to a separate output for special reverb etc (someone please correct me if I am wrong) Aside from a filter and, I think some ADSR?, there is very little to monkey around with. EW is supposedly creating a Play Pro player which, I assume, will try and compete with Kontakt. IMHO. it will be a miracle if it would. I can't imagine any developer dropping the Kontakt standard. Play has definitely taken its lumps on this forum and others but the newer revisions seem to be winning back a few customers.

If you can get a screaming deal I'd say go for it. The Goliath/Choirs upgrade was the cheapest way for me to get into the Play software. I am planning on buying RA and Silk in the future but will push the Choirs and Goliath first to see if they play nice with my DAW.

Hope some of this helps,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Darren,

Thanks for the thorough response!

The price is definitely a good one and usability is the key word for me. I'm not one that spends loads of time "sculpting" a sound, well...except in Omnisphere for some reason. But I prefer to to quickly morph what others have already done as my talents lay more in the direction of composition than engineering although I'm a cartoonist that is great at math

How usable would you rate Goliath? Loaded question I know, think....Sting meets Enigma playing TSO on an iPod being held by Imogen Heep for Guy Sigsworth.....if that gives you any help at all.

Also if you don't mind, how good would you say the Bosendorfer is (compared to NI Akoustic)? I'm primarily a proper pianist and guitarist and the only major flaw I could find in Omnisphere IMHO was the omission of a truly great grand.

Thanks again for the input,

big~C
    Mac Pro 8-Core, Logic 9, Ableton 8, Omni, RMX, Komplete, Samples-n-Samples, Speak-n-Spell, Schroeder's Piano, Mcpherson Guitars, and a Partridge Family 8-Track

Big C,

I had originally bought the Bosendorfer 290 when it was for sale individually. I had to update my old machine a few years ago and never bothered reinstalling it as I am not really a piano player. I'd just use the piano from Kontakt or VSL. After getting Goliath I definitely like the Bosendorfer and am glad they included it in the upgrade. I suppose it's not QL Pianos or VSL Imperial but it's no where near the cost.

After installing Goliath I went through the sounds and was more than happy with the quality and breadth. (Again, for the price it was a steal) The ethnic instruments are nice, and the choir folder has some really cool sounds. I'm hoping to get RA and Silk this year.

To be honest I am a VST junky and have so many of them I rarely dig into any one in particular. If one can't make great music with programs like Goliath, Omnisphere, etc it ain't the software's fault...

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

You’ll definitely get some “instant gratification” with Goliath. However, I have a majority of the Play libraries and to be honest I utilize the sounds in Goliath the least. The number of different articulations (i.e. key switches) are very minimal. Also, the recording quality on some of the newer libraries like Silk are discernibly superior IMO. Sometimes the blending of the older libraries with the newer libraries can cause a bit of a noticeable “contrast” in a mix. But that could just be due to my lack of mixing experience.

I’ve had no performance issues with Play. I’ve got it running a PC Quad Core with Vista 64. Never had it crash or freeze up on me.

- Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by bigcohoona View Post
    EW just came out with a great deal (50% off) on one purchase
    Actually, can you share where you found this? I've been searching the web and can't find any mention of this kind of deal going on now.

THANKS!

Goliath is a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none. If you don;t have a good piano, the Bosendorfer is worth the price of entry (when Goliath is on sale). A lot of the sounds in Goliath are limited articulation versions of sounds from their other libraries. Most of the sounds are very good; there are a few that I consider very weak, but generally the sound are excellent, just limited in the number of articulations.

I'm on a 64 bit PC, and Play works OK but not flawlessly. I don't know how that would translate to logic. I've generally heard that Play x64 is better than x32, but haven't used x32 enough to say.

Hi big-c

I have all of the East West libraries except MOR and I still find myself using Goliath quite a bit.

Some of the sounds just seem more useful to me.

The other benefit of Goliath is portability. I have my main libraries on a desktop and Goliath is also on a laptop. It gives me a good selection of instruments without clogging up my laptop HD. In this way it is quite convenient.

Regards John

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain View Post
    Actually, can you share where you found this? I've been searching the web and can't find any mention of this kind of deal going on now.

THANKS!

Send me a PM with your email and I'll forward it to you. It was in an email advertisement I received from (EWQL's store) for first time buyers...so if you already have some of their Romplers you may be out-a-luck.

big~C

Thanks for the thoughts everyone,

Portability is a good thing to think about, especially for a jack-o-all Rompler...

Any Morphestra users that can give me a comparison?

Thanks,

Chad

Go Back to forum