• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fantasy for Wind Ensemble

Share/Bookmark

Fantasy for Wind Ensemble

Here is a piece I am developing for a local Youth Wind Ensemble. The ensemble is made up of area high school students and brought together once a week for rehearsals. They are quite an excellent Wind Symphony.

This piece is based on the director's name using the notes of the octatonic scale to provide the melodic content. Rhythmic content is found in the morse code spelling of the letters of the director's name. So maybe some of you could actually figure out who the piece is written for.

Here is the Wind Symphony piece:

Fantasy for Wind Ensemble
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Fantasy for Wind Ensemble

Beutiful piece of music!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Wow, Rich ... that was excellent!

I always enjoy your reed writing, but you handle the brass very well too.

I love concert band music and this will be a great piece for your ensemble to perform. I would think it is a real thrill to work with your young musicians to bring this great piece of music to life.

As the piece unfolded, the strong rhythm of the individual parts became very apparent. That persistant figure made the piece as far as I'm concerned. Like all good music, your percussion section could just sit on their hands and every listener will still feel the strong pulse of your piece. The percussion was perfect on just the accents.

I would love to know the instrumentation of your band (not the patches!) ... I can pick out the usual suspects, but am always interested in an ensembles exact makeup.

Once again, great music and good luck in developing the live performance with the MD.

Regards,

Frank

PS: I had a crude knowledge of semaphore in my Navy days (just enough to goof off and talk to my friends on the flying bridge while I was on the fantail whenever we would go out to sea), but never learned Morse beyond the ubiquitous ... _ _ _ ...

Rich;
    I agree with the preceding comments, but would add I found the last third of the music to be dark and near demonic in it's drama and intensity. Terrific display of the Winds, very lively and stimulating!!
    Where else can you hear music like this, right out of the box!?
    Thank you!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Frank,

Thanks so much for your in depth discussion and compliments. The ensemble is not mine (would have loved to work with these kids all the time ). It is a group of high school students who meet at a local college on Saturdays to rehearse for concerts. Every other year they take a tour. I believe their last tour was to New Zealand and Australia. This year's tour is to Spain.

The Director is a very good friend (golfing buddy, actually) and a clarinetist likewise. I wrote a piece for his group 4 years ago (I believe) using an American Indian melody ("Spirit of the Past"). This past month he asked when I was going to write another piece as I have a standing invitation to do so. This piece was the result.

The ensemble is comprised of the full concert band grouping and is a large ensemble. Actually, this group is so exciting for the students in this area that he has three ensembles to accommodate all of them. Students travel up to an hour and a half one way to get to the rehearsals. And actually, the picture displayed in the soundclick player is a picture of this ensemble.

My GPO version only has the sounds of a small wind ensemble (one on a part) but is the full compliment of instrumentation.

Rich

sd cisco,

Thanks for the comments. Yes the ending develops a little to the demonic and dark side (if you will). This piece is not only based on the conductors name but on his personality. Now, don't get me wrong. He is a great guy but you have to see him conduct sometime. He can get very demonic and forceful in his movements. He once did "Carmina Burana" band transcription (by Robert Russell Bennett [I believe]) at a tempo that would have inspired any devil!

He is passionate but has his softer side when he is conducting, hence the alto sax and english horn solos in the middle of the piece as well as the bass clarinet and english horn opening statement of his melodic name.

Rich

In case anyone is interested. I have done some compositional cleanup and changed the piece listed here a little bit. I wasn't thrilled with the opening and especially the closing section. So that has been altered. I also did some work in the woodwind section in pyramiding their entrances to get a better dynamic contrast. Give it a listen, let me know... or not

Rich

Wonderful.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks for listening Fabiolcati. I am glad you enjoyed the piece.

Rich

I don't remember what it sounded like before, but I liked it then and I still like it. I'd never heard of the octatonic scale before you posted this (and it looks like my spell checker still hasn't). It's an interesting sound.

Pat

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast