• Register
  • Help

Topic: Flavour of the month

Share/Bookmark

Flavour of the month

It seems the flavour of the month for putting up demo pieces to illustrate samples (especially brass !).

So, I thought I would join in. Not brass this time, but a sampled upright piano instead.

It makes a change from the usual grand piano demos.

I\'ve found that the usual test pieces to be found on various sampled piano comparison web sites not sufficient to clearly illustrate various subtleties.

So, I have put together a midi file that is a bit more difficult to get sounding right with most sampled pianos.

The zip file (piece1.zip) on my web site contains both the original midi file and a 192kbps mp3 rendering of it with my sampled piano.

If you don\'t baulk at downloading 2.5 MB, I think you\'ll find it interesting, especially if you compare any sampled pianos you use with this sampled upright.

The web address is:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~veridical.sounds/

Best regards
    Nicholas

Re: Flavour of the month

That\'s very nice. It definitely sounds like an upright. I\'m curious as to how many velocity layers you\'ve got there? Sounds like a lot. I think that if you used your sampling techniques on a great grand in a great hall, you\'d have something really marketable (if you plan on selling your stuff, that is).
    Keep up the good work!
    -J

Thanks IOComposer,

The version of my sampled piano on that recording only has one velocity layer, but careful use of velocity controlled low-pass filtering does seem to give a good impression of more.

The unusual aspect of this sampled piano is the way sustain is handled (i.e. sympathetic string resonance).

I may make it commercially available at a very reasonable price if there is sufficient interest in it, but I\'ve never produced a commercial CDROM or CD before and am not sure how much is involved in doing so.

I have actually recorded the samples for several dynamic layers, but I need more motivation before undertaking all the programming involved !

Best regards
    Nicholas

Ah! I first listened to your example on my wife\'s iBook speaker After listening closer to it in the studio, I can hear the filtering. However, on cheap speakers, the dynamic filtering fooled me!! That\'s pretty impressive. I actually thought you had a 16 layered piano!
    Anyway, for an aplication that requires the upright piano sound, I\'d buy your library. However, just using as a piano to play with, it reminds me of all of those countless hours in the practice rooms down in the basement of the music building in college. That\'s kinda depressing
    -J

Hi again IOComposer,

you said:
    \"However, just using as a piano to play with, it reminds me of all of those countless hours in the practice rooms down in the basement of the music building in college. That\'s kinda depressing \".

It reminds me of all the countless hours I should have been practicing down in the basement practice rooms. That\'s kinda even more depressing !

Go Back to forum