• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Legato control in GPO4

Share/Bookmark

Legato control in GPO4

The Garritan GPO doc (A Guide to Garritan PERSONAL ORCHESTRA®
    Version 4) has several references to "Legato Controller CC# 64".

The MIDI standard (if I read it correctly) says CC# 64 is "Sustain"; "legato" is CC# 68. Sibelius support says you use CC# 68.

This wouldn't be a big deal except that Sibelius is apparently turning on and off CC# 68 for you. Is this doing anything to/for GPO? I don't see CC# 68 mentioned in the doc at all,but I could have missed it.

Pat

Re: Legato control in GPO4

If I remember well, the Notation version of GPO uses CC#68 for legato/sustain. Somewhere hidden in the darkest corner of my brain. Hay, I have one!!!!

Raymond

I think you must be right. I tried sticking in a CC#64 on all staves of a string orchestra Sibelius score and it did exactly what I would expect a "sustain pedal" to do for strings. Same thing it would do on a piano. It made for in interesting wash of sound, but certainly wasn't a legato.

This is a bit worrisome. Does this mean that GPO in a notion product and GPO in a sequencer interpret MIDI control sequences differently? Or is this sustain = legato thing only if you are using a MIDI input device?

Is this documented somewhere?

I've decided I'm going to have go get some sequencer software and modify the begeebers out of the Sibelius MIDI output if I want it to sound good, but that's going to be tough if the effects of MIDI controls isn't documented.

Pat

That's correct, Pat. Sibelius uses cc68 for legato, as long as you're using the notation set of GPO samples. People using sequencers use cc64 for the same legato effect with GPO.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ... Sibelius uses cc68 for legato, as long as you're using the notation set of GPO samples. People using sequencers use cc64 for the same legato effect with GPO.
    Randy B.
    Oh, oh! So If I take the MIDI output from Sibelius (which is all full of CC68s) and run it through sequencer with a GPO plug-in, what does GPO do? Ignore the CC68s and not do legato?

I assume this is either no problem or has a well known work-around since there are a number of notation software users on this forum that use sequencers.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    Oh, oh! So If I take the MIDI output from Sibelius (which is all full of CC68s) and run it through sequencer with a GPO plug-in, what does GPO do? Ignore the CC68s and not do legato?
    It will work if you load the "notation" instruments in your sequencer.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    But I would rather just bring in the notes, use the non-notation sample sets, and add in the legato marks myself. YMMV.

Perhaps I misunderstood. Are you talking about creating a score in Sibelius, with the "notation" instruments from GPO, then exporting a MIDI file from Sibelius for further editing in a sequencer, while maintaining the legato function within your sequencer?

If that's what you want, then it should work fine if you load the "notation" instruments in your sequencer when you import the MIDI file from Sibelius.

If you'd rather take that MIDI file from Sibelius and import it into the sequencer, but use the standard GPO instruments, you can still do that, but you'll need to change all the CC68 information to CC64. There should be an easy way to do this. In Sonar, which is what I use, you can do it all at once with the "Process--Interpolate" command. Your sequencer may be different.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    Is this an option that varies among sequencers? I have no experience with them and have no idea how to choose among them.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    Is this an option that varies among sequencers? I have no experience with them and have no idea how to choose among them.

Pat
    It doesn't have anything to do with the sequencer. All the samples are loaded through the ARIA player, which is opened within the sequencer. The sequencer itself doesn't care what samples are loaded.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum