• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ran some forum searches no answers so I don't know where to start

Share/Bookmark

Ran some forum searches no answers so I don't know where to start

I have Print Music 2010 running on an iMac, intel dual core processor chip, 2.4 Ghz. My keyboard has a built-in midi interface and the connection to the keyboard and computer is via USB (both ends).

I am really ignorant when it comes to Notation software, midi, sequencing devices, sound libraries and such. The more I read, the more confused I become.

I purchased Promt Music software to be able to enter music and transpose it. I bought the keyboard because I thought it would make note entry faster. I fool around and input 3 parts of a brass quintet and my wife and I play the 2 missing parts. I've done the same with some old time polkas and waltzes. This is just for fun. Since making the keyboard and software purchase I have started a British-style brass band having played for 14 years in one back in MN before relocating to FL. PM 2010 has a template for British-style brass bands. I was really pleased to see that.

I've the used the brass band template to redo unreadable brass band parts. Brass band arrangers composers and publishers tend to put all 4 solo cornets partseven when playing 4 part harmony on the same octavo size sheet of music. The Villages is an active 55+ adult community and eyes aren't what they used to be. I break all 4 parts out so each players has their own part on their own piece of music and can print it in large notes. One of our players has a handwritten manuscript arrangement of Rondo Alla Turco that I entered into the brass band template to create the parts. We have borrowed music from an inactive brass band. We received some music with missing or condensed scores. I input the parts to create a full score.

Listening to what I've input is where my frustration begins.

The keyboard can hand 16 channels/tracks whatever. The brass band template creates 19 channels when you factor in percussion. If I play it through the keyboard, 3 channels do not sound. Tough to hear what the piece sounds like and find mistakes.

One of the set up windows shows the software is capable of 128 channels in and out. If I select Softsynth as the output, all 19 channels play through the computer. The sound is not good. (Understatement)

I have been all over the internet trying to find out what equipment, software or whatever I need to be able to hear all the channels. I've tried Tweaklabs, Finale support, Musicians Friend, Sam Ashe, Woodwind Brasswind to name a few. This is the 3rd forum I've registered in. Finale tech support recently suggested that I try Garritan and run the sounds through my computer.

I have an email in asking questions with yet no reply. I found the thread describing the Garritan family circumstances I completely understand the situation and decided to try the forums.

I know there are some folks from the UK and Canada on the forums and hopefully they are familiar with the instrumentation of British-style brass band. In short Eb Cornet, Bb Cornet, flugelhorn, Eb Alto (Tenor) Horns, trombones, Baritones, Euphoniums, EEb tubas, BBb tubas and percussion.

It appears the GP04 doesn't have the special instruments. The concert band and marching band seem to be overkill with all the marching stuff and I would be using F horns not Eb horns. It appears Concert and Marching Band is my only choice to get cornets and flugelhorn sounds. Is this software my best choice?

Should I wait until the Concert and Marching band software are on the Aria Instrument Engine? Anyone know when this might be finished?

I assume the Garritan sounds are a replacement for the Softsynth sounds?

Most important, will the purchase of the Garritan software allow me to play all 19 or tracks through my computer like the Softsynth sounds do? If so, I assume the sound will be a vast improvement over Softsynth?

Am I on the right track using Garritan software or am I need more hardware? Hopefully I don't need both the software and more gear. However, if that is what it takes, so be it.

Thanks.
    Keith

20" iMac
    Intel dual core 2.4 Ghz
    2 GB 667 MHz Ram
    Snow Leopard
    Finale Print Music 2010
    Yamaha YPG-535 keyboard

Re: Ran some forum searches no answers so I don't know where to start

Wow some post but I will answer the most important part.

Most important, will the purchase of the Garritan software allow me to play all 19 or tracks through my computer like the Softsynth sounds do?

Each Garritan instance is limited to 16 different instruments. However you can run as many instances as your hardware or host software allows. So yes you can play 19 instruments/tracks using Garritan software.

The Garritan Concert & Marching Band library is the only one in existance that has anything close to the instrumentation you're seeking. You may find flugelhorns and euphoniums elsewhere, but not baritones, tenor horns, or sop cornet.

Thank you LOW and Craig F for your answers. That helps. Sorry for writing a book, but I figured the more info folks had the better chance of getting replies.

Question, I don't know the term instance. Is that like a channel or track. That would mean that I could have 16 instruments times 16 tracks??

I am new at this and I don't have a clue what I'm doing.
    Keith

20" iMac
    Intel dual core 2.4 Ghz
    2 GB 667 MHz Ram
    Snow Leopard
    Finale Print Music 2010
    Yamaha YPG-535 keyboard

Hey, Keith, welcome aboard.

Instance is a vst term for running the program once. A non-musical example would be opening two Word documents at once - each document would be an instance of Word.

So, you can open the GPO library multiple times within Printmusic. Each time you open it you would have 16 channels available. (I am assuming that PM2010 works the same as Finale 2010 in terms of vst instruments).

The first "instance" would have instruments filling midi channels 1-16, the second "instance" would fill midi channels 17-32, etc...

Go Back to forum