• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Suggestions for GPO 5

Share/Bookmark

Suggestions for GPO 5

With all due respect I have some suggestions that IMVHO would put GPO heads and shoulders above any other sample set.

1. Improve microtonal support - the current implementation seems to be a 1:1 correspondence with midi note number. Thus when I use 31 notes per octave my instrument has a tremendously smaller range. Kontakt and Dimension Pro also have this problem --- BUT Pianoteq has solved this problem. I'm not a programmer so I can't say exactly how - but this would make GPO the microtonalists #1 orchestral choice.

2. Beethoven is great - but I'm a 20th / 21st century composer - I can't really do Shostakovich because string harmonics are not represented. That seems to be a common performance technique.

3. Other extended techniques - I'd love to have the ability to call up bowing below the bridge, bow against body knocks, slaps against instrument body, flute (and other woodwind) multiphonics, Choir non-verbal vocalizations (ta, tik, shhh, etc) would be great too. Not necessarily a lot - but some samples would be great.

I say these things with respect because value in money and hard drive space GPO is the #1 choice in my book.

Also, this is with great respect toward the current problems the Garittans are dealing with.

I'm suggesting these things because if no one ever does it is certain not to ever happen.

Gary, if you read this I hope things for your wife and you work out quickly for the best. All of you have done a great deal to advance the music of so many by making a quality sample set affordable. I thank you.

Chris Vaisvil

Re: Suggestions for GPO 5

Welcome Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by vaisvil View Post
    3. Other extended techniques - I'd love to have the ability to call up bowing below the bridge, bow against body knocks, slaps against instrument body, flute (and other woodwind) multiphonics, Choir non-verbal vocalizations (ta, tik, shhh, etc) would be great too. Not necessarily a lot - but some samples would be great.

I say these things with respect because value in money and hard drive space GPO is the #1 choice in my book.
    That's pretty much the answer to point 3: the only way to keep a whole symphonic orchestra in manageable size is to include only the most commonly used articulations. If Garritan started including harmonics and modern performance samples, it'd soon grow to terabyte size (and the price would grow enormously too)

Cheers Matt

Garritan Orchestra Strings 2 (GOS2) will have many of the features you mentioned like harmonics. No release date has been announced as of yet.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    Garritan Orchestra Strings 2 (GOS2) will have many of the features you mentioned like harmonics. No release date has been announced as of yet.

Jim

Awesome!!

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphal View Post
    Welcome Chris!

Thanks Matt!!

Just to be clear, do not expect GOS2 to have a price point close to GPO. It is a much more robust library and therefore has a much more robust price.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Just to be clear, do not expect GOS2 to have a price point close to GPO. It is a much more robust library and therefore has a much more robust price.

-Kevin
    Gary and I were discussing the product and price, and all I am at liberty to say is this....

Kevin,,,, you're way wrong about a high price
    Dan

I understand the size/price constraints, but would the "most basic articulations" possibly extend to sul pont. and sul tasto? Those are pretty basic.

Matt

For the price, GPO4 is very sexy, very complete and unbeatable. I really enjoy GPO4!

The only addition I'd like to see in GPO5 are trills for violoncellos, contrabasses and woodwinds.

But before having a GPO5, most of us are waiting for JABB2 and COMB2 in ARIA.

Cheers,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    F
    But before having a GPO5, most of us are waiting for JABB2 and COMB2 in ARIA.
    not to mention choir and world instruments

Go Back to forum