• Register
  • Help

Topic: Omnisphere and MIDI Learn in Logic 9: How?

Share/Bookmark

Omnisphere and MIDI Learn in Logic 9: How?

Help, this is driving me up a wall.

I have:

A MacBook Pro
    A M-Audio O2 keyboard connected via USB
    Omnisphere
    Logic 9.1

I want to:

Use a knob on my O2 to control a parameter in an instrument in Omnisphere, such as the filter cutoff.

To do so, I:

1. Start Logic.
    2. Create an instrument track.
    3. Instantiate Omnisphere in this instrument track.
    4. Load a preset in Omnisphere.
    5. ???
    6. ???
    X. ???

I've been searching around the Internet and in the reference manual for the past 2 hours with NO SUCCESS AT ALL.

PLEASE HELP.

Re: Omnisphere and MIDI Learn in Logic 9: How?

Are you saying you can't find the reference guide? Just select "Reference Guide" from the utility menu the upper left corner of the Omnisphere window. In the reference guide, search for "MIDI Learn" for information about that feature.

- Glenn

I find the reference guide just fine. It even tells me (supposedly) how to make Omnisphere do MIDI learn.

Except when I do that, nothing happens.

Logic shows me that I'm indeed receiving MIDI from my MIDI keyboard. But all Omnisphere does is sit there and look aloof. When I select "Show MIDI Learns" on the right-click menu for the knob I want to MIDI learn, a window pops up and says "CC -1".

Clearly I am either missing something, or not doing something right. Regardless, it is quite frustrating, to say the least.

Are you intending to write CC-1 using automation or using your midi keyboard?

Try making an automation track set to CC-1 and make sure the midi channel logic is sending out on that track is the same as the omni receive channel for your sound. Put a few nodes on the editing track, move the levels and see if it changes Omni.

You can also do it another way. You can right click on an Omni control and choose learn then move the controller on you keyboard. This will set that control in Omni to the right controller number. Then you can record the controller movements from the keyboard into logic and logic will automate Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by alteredmoods View Post
    When I select "Show MIDI Learns" on the right-click menu for the knob I want to MIDI learn, a window pops up and says "CC -1".
    That means you haven't yet sent any MIDI CC events to Omnisphere.

Can you provide some details about what exactly you're doing?

- Glenn

make sure to select "enable host automation" from the contextual menu for the parameter you want to control.

MIDI Learn and Host Automation are 2 different things. There is no need to enable a parameter for host automation to MIDI Learn it. You only need to enable a parameter for host automation if you want to automate it from your host. See Concepts->Automation and MIDI Learn in the Reference Guide for a description of Automation and MIDI Learn.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by scientist View Post
    make sure to select "enable host automation" from the contextual menu for the parameter you want to control.

not sure how logic works, but for midi automation of omnisphere to work in ableton live, it must first be "host enabled". it is still midi learned, but a 'conduit' has to be opened between midi -> live -> vst.

Automation: yes. MIDI Learn: no, even in Live.

- Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by scientist View Post
    not sure how logic works, but for midi automation of omnisphere to work in ableton live, it must first be "host enabled". it is still midi learned, but a 'conduit' has to be opened between midi -> live -> vst.

glenn, what i'm saying is that if they can't get omnisphere's midi learn working it may be possible to do so from the host itself, via 'enable host automation'. it is an additional option that - in live at least - offers the same functionality of a plug-in's midi learn, but with more options (recordable automation and customized control panel). i don't know if this is possible with logic, but i'm just trying to help.

Go Back to forum