• Register
  • Help

Topic: How many instances/patches of Omnishphere can you run at 64buffer?

Share/Bookmark

How many instances/patches of Omnishphere can you run at 64buffer?

My 8-core MacPro Snow Leopard is choking after just one instance with 3 patches. Well, actually it isn't the Mac because I can still run a separate instance of EW Play with multi-ptaches as well as Ivory. But just Omni alone with Digital Performer 7 or even Logic 9 the app's cpu is overloading/spiking. Same on my laptop, and again on my QuadG5 (though it actually ran a bit better on that). I only have 6gb ram on my desktop...but still, I ran a test sequence with just Omni and nothing else running and that was it.

Is that really the best it can do at that low buffer setting? I haven't tried it on Windows since I didn't install it in my Mac. I thought I've done better before, but maybe I'm getting confused with Atmosphere. What are you folks getting from your machines?

Re: How many instances/patches of Omnishphere can you run at 64buffer?

Atmosphere is much more CPU friendly. I can easily run 8 instances of Atmosphere using Forte Ensemble as a host on an AMD 64 4000+ Single core with 3 GB of ram.

On the same machine with the same host I can run 1 fully loaded ( 8 patches ) instance of Omnisphere and also use live mode, sometimes layering 3 and 4 patches with no glitches.
    I haven't tried to run more than one instance.

Buffer is 64 x 1 and latency 1.45ms in my Forte' setup.

Make sure you're using the newest updates. Omni has seemed, to me, to become more CPU friendly and efficient with the updates.

Too bad I sold my Forte/Amd laptop setup, could have used that to troubleshoot also. Thanks. I do have the latest updates, as well as latest Snow Leopard and DAW hosts...maybe TOO new, since something probably broke in one of the updates. Will have to try installing windows in one of my laptops and try that.

Hi,

I use a Q6600 with 8 GBytes of RAM on Vista 64 Home Premium. Using Cubase 5/32 Bit it is possible to load 6 Multis consisting of 4 Patches each when I use jBridge (so every instance has the whole RAM available). When using Cubase 5 64 Bit as host I`m also able to load 6 Multis with 4 Patches each but this time without jBridge.
    My latency is 6ms. My soundcard is a RME Hammerfalls DSP System with Multiface I.

regards, humphrey
    C5, Forte, Cantabile, Komplete 7, OP-X Pro-II, KORE2, EOS, Halion 3, HSO, FM7, B4, VB3, Sylenth1, virt. Guit., Minimoog V, Stylus RMX exp, Omnisphere, Vista Home Premium 64, Q6600, Gigabyte EP45-DS3R, 8GB RAM Mushkin, 4 Samsung Harddisks / 1,5 TByte, RME Hammerfall DSP with Multiface, Motu Midi Express 128, NI Kore 2, Motif ES7, Fantom XR, Wavestation SR, Plugiator, TC M-One XL, ADA8000

Quote Originally Posted by Sergievsky View Post
    My 8-core MacPro Snow Leopard is choking after just one instance with 3 patches. Well, actually it isn't the Mac because I can still run a separate instance of EW Play with multi-ptaches as well as Ivory. But just Omni alone with Digital Performer 7 or even Logic 9 the app's cpu is overloading/spiking. Same on my laptop, and again on my QuadG5 (though it actually ran a bit better on that). I only have 6gb ram on my desktop...but still, I ran a test sequence with just Omni and nothing else running and that was it.
    Are you using version 1.2?

How fast is your 8-core?

You should be able to able to run lots of Omnisphere parts, unless your 8-core is really underpowered speed-wise.

Hi Spectrum, I'm not in 1.2 yet, I was gonna wait for the official release. My 8-core is the 2.26. I did manage to get it working much better though last night, got up to four instances inside DP...though still around 4 patches each (around 280% on the activity monitor).

Inside Logic was much better. Load was distributed better between the cores. It also seemed in DP that the first instance really needed to be light, like 2 patches only, before launching another one. Which is probably what happend on my last project. It didn't seem to matter launching new instances when that first instance was overloading.

I don't know how accurate the performance meter is in logic, but that first core is always pegged to the top...and sometimes even if a new patch is loaded in the other instances, it draws from that first core as well. In other words, it doesn't seem to be automatic that a new instance means it's all in a new core.

Sorry if I have no clue how these cores operate, maybe its supposed to be like that or not. I just would like to know if things like adding more memory would help, since that is my next purchase (expensive)...or if switching to 64 bit would also help...or if switching fully to Logic (which I know very little of since I'm diehard DP because of scoring-to-pic & wait-for-note) would be the solution.

Also, I apologize if this sounds like a techsupport call, I know it isn't the place for it. I just wanted to see what other people was getting so I have a better gauge on how much I should tweak until I get similar performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergievsky View Post
    Hi Spectrum, I'm not in 1.2 yet, I was gonna wait for the official release. My 8-core is the 2.26.
    Ah....OK, yeah that machine is significantly slower than every other Mac Pro that's been released. (even when compared with the very first mac Pros from several years ago)

CPU speed does indeed matter.

We always recommend faster processing speeds for Virtual Instruments. It's nice to have 8-cores for sure, but speed is still very important. It's kind of odd that these particular 8-cores are now so much slower (2.2ghz) than even the entry-level iMac (3.06ghz) in terms of what you can do on each core.

For anyone considering a new 8-core for Omnisphere, stay away from this slow one. The difference between this 2.2 model and the faster models with Omnisphere is significant. Get the fastest machine you can, because this is the one key component that cannot be upgraded later. The faster CPU you have, the longer the machine will last you too.

I did manage to get it working much better though last night, got up to four instances inside DP...though still around 4 patches each (around 280% on the activity monitor).
    Good to hear.

Inside Logic was much better. Load was distributed better between the cores. It also seemed in DP that the first instance really needed to be light, like 2 patches only, before launching another one. Which is probably what happend on my last project. It didn't seem to matter launching new instances when that first instance was overloading.
    Yeah, the hosts distribute the loads differently, but the raw processing speed is so much slower on that model, that there is really a big difference in actual use.

8-Core users on the faster systems running 64-bit are getting 16 instances of Omnisphere for example.

Of course, it all depends how you are using it, how the load is being distributed, etc.

I don't know how accurate the performance meter is in logic, but that first core is always pegged to the top...and sometimes even if a new patch is loaded in the other instances, it draws from that first core as well. In other words, it doesn't seem to be automatic that a new instance means it's all in a new core.

Sorry if I have no clue how these cores operate, maybe its supposed to be like that or not. I just would like to know if things like adding more memory would help, since that is my next purchase (expensive)...or if switching to 64 bit would also help...or if switching fully to Logic (which I know very little of since I'm diehard DP because of scoring-to-pic & wait-for-note) would be the solution.
    64-bit Logic with 64-bit Omnisphere on the 8-cores with Snow Leopard is a pretty great experience in terms of memory headroom.

With that type of system, you might have better luck overall with the slower machine you have by getting more RAM and opening more instances of Omnisphere and not using as many parts on each instance.

Strange, I'm also on 2.26 MP with SL and I can have easily 8 or more patches in Omni, at least 8 in RMX and many play and kontakt patches with no major strain on cpu. The BIG difference was 64bit logic. After that, it's been much easier as memory was the main limiting factor.

Thanks so much Eric et al, I appreciate all your comments. Will give 64bit a try then, even before I get my extra ram.

I also have an 8-core Mac Pro. In preparation for all things 64 bit, I did tons of research on RAM for this computer.

This post, which I'm sure came from this forum, provided an excellent explanation. I copied it and sent it to myself in an email. I'll quote it here. Thank you to the author.

All software - whether an application or plugin - utilizes virtual memory. Generally speaking, software does not know about or care about the amount of RAM on the computer. Increasing or decreasing RAM will not affect the features or capabilites of an application.

Virtual memory is an imaginary block of memory that is 4 GB on 32-bit computers, and is nearly unlimited in size in 64-bit computers. Every application has its own block of virtual memory.

The operating system (OSX, Windows, Linux, etc) takes care of all the work to convert that virtual memory into the physical RAM on the computer. For example, an application can store and refer to 4 GB of data, even though the computer has 2 GB of RAM. Not only that, you can run six different applications at the same time, each of which has its own 4 GB of data it is utilizing, and they will all execute okay on just 2 GB of physical RAM.

The magic to make that happen is a "page file", which is a disk file that the operating system uses to move application data in and out of the physical RAM.

When an application reports "out of memory", it does not mean that the RAM is too small, instead it means that "I am hitting the 4 GB limit of my virtual memory". Adding RAM will not fix that. Closing other applications will not fix that. What will fix it? Here are a few solutions: (1) shift to a 64-bit computer and use a 64-bit application; (2) On Windows: use the "3 GB" option in your boot-up file; (3) use a "bridge" plugin such as J-Bridge or VE Pro (which effectively gives you two applications, with 4 GB each); (4) Try to reduce data usage by the application, for example, close unused plugins; for Trilian: make sure you have Streaming turned on on the System window; turn on "Lite" choice in the patch browser; reduce the Pre-Load knob on the System window; finally: Trilian and Omnisphere include a "Lite" option that will only load the minimal samples necessary to support the notes that are in the song your host is playing. Refer to the Reference Guide for details.

If virtual memory is so important, why bother installing more RAM? Because undersized RAM means that the operating system will have to frequently move lots of data in and out of the page file: lots of disk IO means slower execution speed and possible audio glitches.

Conversely, adding RAM will not eliminate the "out of memory" errors from hosts, but it will make things run faster and may prevent autio glitches.

If you have a 64-bit system, and a 64-bit host, and a 64-bit plugin, you will never see the host issue an "out of memory" error, because virtual memory is nearly unlimited. However, you will see performance problems if you load up lots of plugins and lots of data, and your RAM is under-sized.

I also spoke with an Apple person. I got to speak with a top tech person by some magical stroke of luck. He was very good and patient as I asked all my questions. He agreed that the more RAM you have, the better the computer will run because of the reasons the author stated above - Because undersized RAM means that the operating system will have to frequently move lots of data in and out of the page file: lots of disk IO means slower execution speed and possible audio glitches....However, you will see performance problems if you load up lots of plugins and lots of data, and your RAM is under-sized.

Loading up with Apple RAM would have paid for a new house so I asked the Apple person if it was okay to get 3rd party RAM. (I knew this was a yes but I wanted to hear him say it.) He said yes, no problem, but to make sure it was up to Apple spec, ie, heat sync, etc.

After tons more research I decided to go with Other World Computing. Now 16GB seems to be a common amount but I value my time and lack of technical drama as much or more than I do money so in the end I decided just to go for it and be done with it. I got 32GB RAM from OWC, installed it, and it's perfect. No problems. (I got this computer for music and video. With audio and video there's a lot going on).

I took out the Apple RAM in my computer and put it in the static free bags that I got with the OWC RAM. That's because if you have to call Apple Care for hardware support they will want you to take out anything 3rd party. So just in case... You can't mix OWC RAM and Apple RAM.

So you could start with 16GB and get more later if you need it. Just make sure that you think about your RAM configuration for now and for the future...

I am wrapping up a music piece, then will install Snow, Logic 9... just in time for 64 bit Omni. Life is good.

Good luck !
    Susan

Go Back to forum