• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pitch problem

Share/Bookmark

Pitch problem

I have just upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and upgraded GPO to the latest version. I use Sonar 8.5 as the sequencer.

I've written a simple piece in C, only major triads with a few major 7ths. I played the initial melody in a Cakewalk synth, Dimension Pro, and harmony in another Cakewalk synth, Rapture. Everything sounded great.

Then I attempted to add strings with GPO. The strings are significantly flat, as compared to the other synths. I checked, and all synths are set to standard tuning. Adding the strings using the Garritan Pocket Orchestra included in Sonar, the parts are in tune.

What could be wrong?

Re: Pitch problem

first, welcome to Northern Sounds,,,
    if I recall, some of the section violins were flat in GPO, but I just correct them in my sequencer, or you can change the tuning in the ARIA player.
    If all the instruments are not in tune, then you should check the sample rate. If one library plays at a different sample rate, the pitch will be way off between the two.
    Overall they should be in tune with A above middle C on the piano being 440 hz.

Perhaps you could post a small MP3 with a few notes from your setup,
    so I can compare them to my notes here.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JESimmons View Post
    I have just upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and upgraded GPO to the latest version. I use Sonar 8.5 as the sequencer.

I've written a simple piece in C, only major triads with a few major 7ths. I played the initial melody in a Cakewalk synth, Dimension Pro, and harmony in another Cakewalk synth, Rapture. Everything sounded great.

Then I attempted to add strings with GPO. The strings are significantly flat, as compared to the other synths. I checked, and all synths are set to standard tuning. Adding the strings using the Garritan Pocket Orchestra included in Sonar, the parts are in tune.

What could be wrong?
    Hello JESimmons and I add my welcome to our forums.

You use the term 'significantly' flat. There is definitely something amiss here. If you were to listen to our demo page and Christmas CDs you will find that where section strings are used there are no problems.

I would echo Dan's suggestion that, if possible, you post a sample for us to look at. I think this would be the best next move.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks guys. I've been using the older GPO with the Kontakt player for some time, so I'm familiar with how things should sound.

Someone on the Cakewalk forum said that the synth Dimension Pro had pitch problems. I removed that one from the mix, and everything seems to be in order with a short test. I'll rewrite the parts today and test more thoroughly.
    john

Sonar has a tuner plugin that you insert in the audio output for GPO or for Dimension Pro. Then you can see which one is out of tune.

GPO strings are in tune except for the 2nd Violins which I believe are 11 cents flat.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post

GPO strings are in tune except for the 2nd Violins which I believe are 11 cents flat.

Jim
    that's what I remember
    Thanks Haydn

Hi, JESimmons - Just a bit earlier I replied to another one of your posts where you mentioned Dim Pro and tuning problems. I'm afraid therein lies your problem. It's a drag, but Sonar's flagship synth/sampler hybrid does have tuning issues in quite a few of its patches.

EDIT: I meant to add that the slight flatness of the 2nd violins in GPO makes for a nice touch of realism to mixes, in my opinion. I pan the 2nd strings directly opposite from the 1st strings instead of in the traditional position. There's a rich, full, slightly chorused effect that happens as a result of the mirrored panning and the slight detuning built into that 2nd string patch.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I pan the 2nd strings directly opposite from the 1st strings instead of in the traditional position. There's a rich, full, slightly chorused effect that happens as a result of the mirrored panning and the slight detuning built into that 2nd string patch.

Randy B.
    I use a similar technique when building a clarinet section for concert band or wind ensemble. I use COMB Clarinet Groups 1, 2 and 3 and detune 2 and 3 VERY SLIGHTLY then spread them across the stereo field. I also layer in a GPO Solo Clarinet on the Clarinet 1 Group. Anyway - the detuning does, I feel, add a sense of realism - if it's not overdone.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum