• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Question for Chris Beck

A Question for Chris Beck

Hi Chris,

I just watched \"The Gift\" for the fourth time (I\'m a devoted Buffy/Angel fan). I\'m not one to blow sunshine in the posterior region, but I have to admit, I nearly cried when I heard the main string melody during the end/tower scene...well, the Buffy-jump may have had something to do with that, too, but I digress.
    I do a bit of low budget indie film work, so I have to be a bit reserved when it comes to buying libraries. I\'ve yet to hear anything as warm and expressive as the strings you used for the main melody.
    I realize technique is half the battle, but I was hoping you might point me in the right direction as to what libraries you mixed and matched for the string line.
    I\'ve had some success using some Roland String Pads I found on a preview disc to balance the graininess of some of the string sounds, but I haven\'t been able to find the right library combo for the upper string section that doesn\'t sound like someone running there fingers across a chalkboard.
    I\'d love to hear any advice you\'d like to share. If you\'d prefer to email me, please feel free. Thanks for your time, Chris!

Re: A Question for Chris Beck

That\'s Garritan\'s Strings (beta version), muted violins, on the melody.

There\'s a bunch of other stuff too, mostly AO (I happen to like AO strings) and old Roland stuff. The woodwind solos are an actual real player.

Thanks for the sunshine in any case
    - Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your response! I sincerely appreciate it. I think you\'ve made the best argument yet for the Garritan strings. I was really blown away by them. There\'s nothing like hearing them in a real word piece to fully appreciate their potential, and your technique really lets them shine.
    And I agree...I actually use AO strings mixed with some string pads quite a bit on my slower passages, and the percussion, harps and some of the woodwinds are great for what I do. I\'m a little surprised that so many people knock it.
    As for the sunshine, aw heck, sometimes you just have to let it roll. Naturally, there\'s a lot of emphasis on the technical side of things in here, but it\'s always nice to sit back and just recognize the fact that there\'s some really beautiful music made with all this stuff we go on and on about.

any chance at all you could MP3 release this cue as a demo to us forum people?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Floessel:

any chance at all you could MP3 release this cue as a demo to us forum people?

No chance, Fox owns the music.

- Chris

I figured so...

Great music nonetheless.

What\'re we talking about here - music for the Buffy series?

[This message has been edited by Simon Ravn (edited 08-17-2001).]

Go Back to forum