• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB and Finale 2010

Share/Bookmark

JABB and Finale 2010

Is there particular expressions in Finale understand and interprete (with HP) to trigger falls, doits, shakes and other special articulations provided by JABB ?
    Francois, Montreal
    Francois Harel, Montreal, Canada
    QX9650 3.0 GHz on Asus Maximus Formula, 8Gbytes, many SATA2 drives. XP Pro and Vista x64.
    Finale 2010b, Sonar PE 8.5.2
    KP2 and Kontakt 4, fullGPO, JABB, CoMB, EWQLSO Plat+, EWQLSC
    Edirol UA-1000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

Re: JABB and Finale 2010

Hello Francois,

There are a few jazz articulations provided but in any case you can create your own custom articulations in HP. You can find a list of those included in Finale's Manual under 'Human Playback Dictionary'.

For further information on creating custom articulations, please see Finale's Manual under 'Human Playback Custom Styles'.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi,
    Just come back from Ottawa for business...
    Yes, I found it. Print and study it right now.
    Hope I will have time this week-end to make some trial wth Finale and JABB.

I try to make score for orchestration of old song normally make by big band. So I need a good piano player, bass, drum and a kind of big acoustic guitar that jazz player use. And a big horn and sax section.

I am very bad to build orchestration for brass. I bought (but don't receive it...) some big band score like old songs from Sammy Davis Jr. It will help me to learn how make orchestration for Big band brass and sax sections.

Francois, Montreal
    QX9650 3.0 GHz on Asus Maximus Formula, 8Gbytes, many SATA2 drives. XP Pro and Vista x64.

Hi Francois,

I use JABB in Sonar and cc15 will give you trumpet falls, kisses, and doits (See your JABB manual for which values trigger which effects). Hopefully that will lead you to some success in getting them to work in Finale.

However, there is no cc or keyswitch for trumpet shakes. Tom Hopkins had written a shake tutorial, but I found it didn't work correctly when I up-graded to Kontact Player 2.

If you are looking for a structured approach to learn big band jazz arranging, I highly recommend Gary Lindsay's "Jazz Arranging Techniques". I own most of the great jazz arranging books written and they all have a lot to offer. But the Lindsay book does it in the most logical order I've ever seen (I think some of that has to do with the fact that Lindsay is Director of Studio Jazz Writing at Univ. of Miami). It includes a CD loaded with the written examples in the book.

Regards,

Frank

Hi everyone and thank you for your help.
    Even if I didn't make the real test with F2010 and JABB,
    I already found special 'codes' in Finale to trigger fall-off, doit and shakes.. Thank Michael.
    Now, the helpfile of F2010 talk about Grow/Fluttertongue sound which was trigger with a tremolo articulation attached to a note. But what is this articulation ? In the help file, the talk about a 'ae' code !!! What is this code and where I can find it ? it is an error on my print version of the help file ?

Now, trigger kisses ?
    Does it trigger with key velocity ... of aftertouch ?
    Is a special articulation or smartshape exist for that ?

Dear Frank, thank you for your suggestion. A book with a audioi cd is very helpfulll for me. I don't have solid basis in music. I will order it.

Francois, Montreal

Go Back to forum