• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Vocal Planet with Sampletank2

Share/Bookmark

Vocal Planet with Sampletank2

I have recently purchased Sampletank2 largely to use with the Spectrasonics Vocal Planet library. I have tried importing the samples from one of the discs (World Music) but only one or two samples are converted in each group although the window when they are being converted indicates that all of the samples are being converted. Any clues?

Re: Vocal Planet with Sampletank2

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Clark View Post
    I have recently purchased Sampletank2 largely to use with the Spectrasonics Vocal Planet library. I have tried importing the samples from one of the discs (World Music) but only one or two samples are converted in each group although the window when they are being converted indicates that all of the samples are being converted. Any clues?
    This interests me, too.
    I´ve considered buying either the Vocal Planet or the Symphony of Voices
    library.

I´ve got the RMX 1.7 and Kontakt 4 + the Sampletank.
    Which player is most suitable for the Spectrasonics vocal samples?

Some of the RMX libraries include "extras" of the Vocal Planet - I wonder
    why S. hasn´t published all their vocal libraries as the RMX expansions?
    There would be some demand, I think.

Harry

Ok until Eric steps in, here are my 2 cents.
    Does sampletank read akai, roland or emu sample formats? Afaik these and plain wave files (where you would have to import the wave files (samples) and map them and create patches for yourself) are the ways VP was done.. so what application are you using to convert from these formats to sampletank format?
    Just read that sampletank is suppose to read or import Akai 1000/3000 patches.....I have found that importing samples from another format is at best a hit or miss and even both of the dedicated programs I have (CDXtract and Translator Pro) do a so so job depending on the programs to import....

Most if not all of the VP multisamples are in Omnisphere so I would definitely suggest this be the first choice.

@ Harry_O....RMX is a loop based instrument so only the loop based stuff from VP was included.... it isn't meant to do multisamples and layers etc that is omnisphere's job.. so I doubt if you will ever get all of VP in rmx as it doesn't make sense to do so.....however I think between RMX (with the loop based stuff from VP) and omnisphere (with the multisampled stuff from VP), you would have all of VP's content.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Quote Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
    Ok until Eric steps in, here are my 2 cents.
    Does sampletank read akai, roland or emu sample formats? Afaik these and plain wave files (where you would have to import the wave files (samples) and map them and create patches for yourself) are the ways VP was done.. so what application are you using to convert from these formats to sampletank format?
    Just read that sampletank is suppose to read or import Akai 1000/3000 patches.....I have found that importing samples from another format is at best a hit or miss and even both of the dedicated programs I have (CDXtract and Translator Pro) do a so so job depending on the programs to import....
    Right.

Most if not all of the VP multisamples are in Omnisphere so I would definitely suggest this be the first choice.
    True ideed (all VP multisamples are included in Omnisphere)

....but multisamples are just a very small part of the VP library.

@ Harry_O....RMX is a loop based instrument so only the loop based stuff from VP was included.... it isn't meant to do multisamples and layers etc that is omnisphere's job.. so I doubt if you will ever get all of VP in rmx as it doesn't make sense to do so.....however I think between RMX (with the loop based stuff from VP) and omnisphere (with the multisampled stuff from VP), you would have all of VP's content.
    rsp
    That's incorrect.

Only VP's Groove Control vocal percussion loops are in RMX, which is also a very, very small part of the huge VP library.

The vast portion of the massive Vocal Planet collection are neither loops or multiples, but are rather "phrases".

As neither RMX or Omnisphere are particularly suitable for playing phrase samples, we have not released this portion of the VP library for any of our virtual instruments. So the bulk of Vocal Planet is not available in RMX or Omnisphere.

Currently, the best way to utilize the phrase samples from Spectrasonics sample libraries like Vocal Planet, Heart of Asia, Heart of Africa, etc are to use these with a sampler like Kontakt or Sampletank2 (which has some useful phrase manipulation time stretching features)

like I said, until Eric steps in :-)
    never owned VP or SOV (they were always on my list when my Roland was my main sampler)..

rsp

so Eric, we have S.A.G.E and STEAM are we now looking for a third engine STRETCH?
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Thanks everybody. I think I'll let this run for a while - all a bit above my head as a humble composer!
    Anyway, I certainly don't regret buying VP (although the first sampler I bought to use it with was the dreaded Gigasampler which froze, crashed & was generally totally unusable. Having said that, the VP library itself is incredible - worth the money for the gospel stuff alone let alone the amazing World Voices (which I'm using in a project at the moment). I've been able to import a good number of the samples into the Sampletank2 format (which comprises 3 files) which I've been then using as a virtual instrument in Cubase 3. Would be nice to be able to do all of them though.....

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    Right.

As neither RMX or Omnisphere are particularly suitable for playing phrase samples, we have not released this portion of the VP library for any of our virtual instruments. So the bulk of Vocal Planet is not available in RMX or Omnisphere.

Currently, the best way to utilize the phrase samples from Spectrasonics sample libraries like Vocal Planet, Heart of Asia, Heart of Africa, etc are to use these with a sampler like Kontakt or Sampletank2 (which has some useful phrase manipulation time stretching features)
    Thank you for the comment. As discussed earlier in this forum, there are
    certainly need for a suitable vocal material in different styles, especially r&b/rock/pop/blues/jazz, for creating background harmonies with the help of
    Melodyne or other such a tools. My suggestion to the Spectrasonics is that instead of selling just huge vocal sample libraries (which are rather expensive), they chop the libraries and sell them downloadable as smaller categories for target use, too. Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
    My suggestion to the Spectrasonics is that instead of selling just huge vocal sample libraries (which are rather expensive), they chop the libraries and sell them downloadable as smaller categories for target use, too. Harry
    Nah....honestly we're not really too interested in that approach. This is a very special collection that took over 7 years to produce and most of whatever sanity I had left.

These collections are already the most popular vocal sample libraries ever produced, so our approach has shown to work very well.

Expensive? Well...that's a relative term. :-)

To put the price of the library into perspective, it would cost you more than the price of the library to hire just ONE of the singers on this library for a three hour recording session - if you could get them to do it.

Vocal Planet includes over 500 different vocalists recorded all over the world in a huge variety of styles with thousands of variations. There is still nothing even close to a single vocal collection with this much variety produced by any company. It's designed to be a collection that you can use over a lifetime.

So cost-wise, even if you only use the library once, it easily pays for itself.

The problem with the idea of splitting up the library is that it assumes that the price would be much lower, which it wouldn't. There are certain very rare vocal performances on the product that it's pretty difficult to put a price on how much they would be worth by themselves.

After all, look how it was used in the film "Crash". Vocal Planet samples were used as the FEATURED vocals and melodies in the final filmscore of the Oscar-winning Best Picture of that year. I cannot even imagine setting a price lower than what it already is to cover that type of high profile usage (and many others).

So in our view, the price is already incredibly low for what this library gives composers to work with. Reducing it further and splitting it up just cheapens the work and treats it like "everything else" that's out there on the market. We've been in business for 16 years now and have never "blown out" our libraries or cheapened them. When we've repackaged them or gone back to them, it's always been in the context of how to make them better....not simply cheaper.

If somebody could have done this type of product for cheaper, it would have already happened by now.

If you prefer to buy smaller collections with single singers, then that's cool. There are plenty of other developers that do that sort of thing.

But that's not what a product like Vocal Planet is. It's a very special Pro product and so it should have a pro, but reasonable price.

I´d like to know if anyone has used the Vocal Planet samples with
    the Melodyne /experiences? Harry

P.s. Personally the possibility of buying section(s) of the library
    wouldn´t decrease the value of the product/brand in my eyes.
    But I understand this point: selling downloadable smaller libraries online
    is not what Spectrasonics want to do in this case.
    Price is always relative thing: I guess one could always argue that
    (almost any) sample library is too cheap, of course the demand/supply in the
    market determinates the value.
    In the case of the VP the delivery cost (and other indirect costs) increase the end user price.

I've discovered what the go is here.
    Even though it appears that all of the samples in the folder haven't been transferred, they are there & are triggered by playing different notes from C3 up (as per the Vocal Planet guide). So all good & I can now use some of that amazing Qawalli wailing !!
    Thanks for all your help

Ken Clark
    www.filmscoresplus.com.au

Go Back to forum