• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DVZ strings

Share/Bookmark

DVZ strings

Hi there everybody,
    I am in the market for some new orchestral libraries. Well, strings in particular
    I am very interested in HS by East west...The sound is amazing and it screams authenticity in so many ways.
    LASS is absolutely amazing in every way but seems a bit too hardware consuming.
    The Sonivox strings seems a tad outdated
    VSL's Appassionata strings is good but not the sound I'm after.
    I'm looking for something with the warmth of Symphobia's strings and the articulations of Lass

What about about DVZ strings?...
    Ive heard some time ago about it and it seems amazing as well but i am yet to hear a proper demo of it...
    Is it even out yet?
    And if it is, does anyone here have any experience with it?

Re: DVZ strings

I own LASS and I'm using successfully on a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. Sure, it may require two computers, if you load up all the articulations on all the instruments and load 3 separate divisis on each instrument. But if you for example load one section per instrument and one or few articulations in addition to that for each section, it's not a problem to use it. And for me this is most often the case.

And when it comes to DVZ... well, at least from seeing the demos, this library builds up sections from individual players, so if you have a 16-player 1st violins section, you have 16 separate "virtual instruments". Please correct me if I'm wrong. The first DVZ strings had quite big system requirements (four to six dedicated work stations), but they say that with the new 2.0 only two is needed. I don't think the 2.0 is out yet, though... it's the kind of library that can do everything, hence the requirements.

It's a bit weird, their Strings-page on their website has said quite a while now "This page is under construction". Their "Purchase" page says "DVZ Strings will soon be released. It is a full 70 piece String Section." It doesn't say 2.0, just DVZ Strings. Really unclear... but I'm quite sure DVZ 1.0 has been out there for a while now, I've even seen it demoed maybe 5 years ago. Maybe their website's just a mess...
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

I don't think DVZ strings is out yet. That's probably why it is impossible to find a single good DVZ strings demo, other than what you can hear in the video, which can't really tell how good it is.

If you think that LASS is quite demanding in terms of hardware requirements, you should be very afraid of thinking to get DVZ strings, which is even far more demanding than LASS I believe.

hendyb, do you mean that not even the first version is out yet? Heh, it's weird... I have no idea, I just assumed, since there's pricing and even a 2.0 coming.
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Exclamation Re: DVZ strings

Actually my understanding is that DVZ isn't a library, and so isn't comparable with HS or LASS.

DVZ is a system, based on several workstations linked by propietary networking and software. The price is assumed to be very high and very professional (if you don't run a big studio, nor are a multi K dollars budget composer, it's not for you they say...)

I quote by hart what they wrote about the price:

"... if you enter a Lamborghini cars shop, and you ask for the price, well probably you can't afford a Lamborghini..."

DVZ sounds interesting on the paper, but as long as we don't have any demo or budget for it, we have LASS or the future coming Hollywood Strings.

With Hollywood Strings you have access to 2 divisi while with LASS you have 3 divisi and first chair.

Here you can listen to my first test with LASS:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...278#post644278

I extensively used divisi. This should give you a small idea of LASS.

For me, LASS sounds very realistic for its price.
    There is no spoon.

Yup. As far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika View Post
    hendyb, do you mean that not even the first version is out yet? Heh, it's weird... I have no idea, I just assumed, since there's pricing and even a 2.0 coming.

Heh, and I've even demoed DVZ Strings on Frankfurt Musikmesse around 2005 or 2006 I think. But I couldn't tell anything about strings at that time...

If you check out DVZ Strings on Youtube, you'll find plenty of demos, this one guy showing it on some conference.

I'm still under the impression that it's a library (see the Youtube-demos!). The reason why they market the workstations and software to connect the workstations together is that this kind of setup (or a super computer) it is required to run it. So it just makes sense...
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Yup, video demos are all that we can find as far as the DVZ strings concerns. There is no single review available in my knowledge about DVZ strings, either from an online reviewer or a real user.

I remember read a news that says they will only sell the library together with the systems - I think, it's been a while.

I was very interested in the DVZ strings since the day it was announced, but when they announce the hardware requirements, I basically said to myself it is out of my league.

Talking Re: DVZ strings

The web site has recently changed to an unexpressive "under construction" in several pages, but lot of infos are still on line (including video demo).

http://www.audioimpressions.com/

Go Back to forum