• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help finding a sound...

Share/Bookmark

Need help finding a sound...

Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with the clav type sound in the song Bad Medicine by Bon Jovi? I'm trying to source it or recreate it and any help in that regard would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

Re: Need help finding a sound...

Quote Originally Posted by soundguy View Post
    Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with the clav type sound in the song Bad Medicine by Bon Jovi? I'm trying to source it or recreate it and any help in that regard would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance..
    +1
    I play sometimes in an Bon Jovi coverband and im not satisfyed with my Bad Medicine sound. I'm currently using a patch with two different clav sounds. One with phaser effect. Its sounds ok, but not great.

what module or keyboard you using?

OK this is the part where you employ your ears,layering and maybe a little imagination to boot!

Ears: Listen over and OVER again until you can't stand it then listen some more. See if you can split the sound in two,in your minds eye(or in this case,ear)

Layering: Sure,two clavis MIGHT be the answer,but then again,with phase cancellation in the picture,it might *not*. You have to think outside the patch and see if something unexpected can be layered on the clavi to give it that "Bon Jovi Sound". It might be a matter of processing too,such as chorus or delay. Think of this too: The clavi might not be a clavi at all-It could be something else!

Take your base clavi patch then run every conceivable string-type patch that you possess in your musical arsenal until you get what you want, or at least ,are closer than you were before.

This sounds like a neat thing to try and figure out tonite so that's what I'll do. I love stuff like this!

how did you go?

Hi..I just listened to it on youtube..The intro sounds like sort of a quick saw type patch..The meat of it however sure sounds like it's the guitar not a clav..Who knows.. Jon
    Logic Pro8
    MacBook Pro intel
    Live8
    Reason4
    PTs 7.4

First off,please don't laugh too hard

Using a Casio WK 1350 with a GM Soundset. ( I heard that! LOL)

First, a straight Clavi patch # 007.

Doesn't do anything for me.I think it's dull.

Now I go to Harpsi 006 because I have a sneaking suspicion about this patch.

SS#1-As I thought, no good alone.
    SS#2 But, it might layer well,later on.

Clavi 007 + Harpsi 006 Layered in this order.

Still "no dice". I'm going to drop Clavi but stick with Harpsi 006 as the "base" and try the "Layer Thing".

To not waste your time, I picked only the closest/appropriate ones.(eg you KNOW a timpani patch ain't gonna do it!)

Harpsi + 002 E. Grand-Kinda works but lacking in something.
    " + 027 Cln.Gtr.-Maybe,but still.......lacking.
    " + 029 Overdrive- OK! Getting there.
    " + 030 Dist. Gtr.- Not as many overtones-It's tighter and has more
    "bite".

I think that there's more work to do in this are so I'm going to continue.

Go Back to forum