• Register
  • Help

Topic: Violin Sonata II. Arioso Andante dolente

Share/Bookmark

Violin Sonata II. Arioso Andante dolente

Hello,
    this is the second movement of the violin sonata which I wrote in the recent weeks.
    It is a very melancholic song-like Andante, titled "Arioso Andante dolente"

www.gerdprengel.de/violin-sonata-2.mp3
    www.gerdprengel.de/violinsonata-2.pdf (score)

The main theme is a variation of the main theme of the first movement which I presented here a few weeks ago.

I used the "Violin 1 Cagli Solo KS" and the Steinway Piano.

What do you think of it?

Gerd

Re: Violin Sonata II. Arioso Andante dolente

Hi Gerd,

This was beautiful ... nice job! I loved the way the piece unfolded from the simply stated, exposed theme. The piece built very nicely from that point. It is indeed a melancholic work, but there was enough variety of moods within it to keep it from becoming maudlin.

I enjoyed this Gerd ... is the Tarantella next? I'm looking forward to whatever follows this movement!

Regards,

Frank

Gerd,
    It's nice to see that I am not the only one "stuck in the 19th century" musically, and brave enough to post samples.

I feel a bit uncomfortable making suggestions that I'm incapable of following in my own music, but I'm going to do it anyway. (Maybe I'll listen to my own advice. )

You present a number of nice ideas in that movement but you don't really develop them very much. This is just be a personal opinion, but I'm not much of a fan of theme-and-variations; I like to see more done with a musical idea.

Also, I think you could use a coda. The music just seems to abruptly stop.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    You present a number of nice ideas in that movement but you don't really develop them very much. This is just be a personal opinion, but I'm not much of a fan of theme-and-variations
    In the first movement I did a lot of "developing" on the main theme,

www.gerdprengel.de/violinsonata-1.mp3
    http://gerdprengel.de/violinsonata-1.pdf

so that here I had in mind just a kind of "song without words" with variations, a kind of calming down with still melancholy. I am still working on the last movement. There you hopefully get more of the "developing" again.

Gerd

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    This was beautiful ... nice job!...I enjoyed this Gerd ... is the Tarantella next? I'm looking forward to whatever follows this movement!
    Thank you, Frank, yes the Tarentella comes next. The exposition is finished and now I am working on the development section which is quite challenging :-). I hope to finish it in the next 3 weeks. Like the Andante theme the main theme of that movement also will be a variation of the 1st movement's main theme which I love very much.

Gerd

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    Also, I think you could use a coda. The music just seems to abruptly stop.
    Thank you, Pat, you were right! Now I added a haunting Coda turning the melancholic piece to a most tender and comforting A-Major variation of the main theme. I just love this ending now! Please listen to it again with this new ending :-)

Gerd

Yes, I think that is a definite improvement.

I'm not a big fan of the theme-and-variations form so you should probably ignore what I said before.

Pat

Go Back to forum