• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some Mixes in MIR

Share/Bookmark

Some Mixes in MIR

Here are three different MIR mixes for a string trio. Please give them a listen and let me know which mix you like more and why.

Mix 1

Mix 2

Mix 3

The first mix has the mics on the stage.

The second mix has them close to the stage (in a different hall).

The third has the mics in the back of the hall (same hall as mix 2).

Thanks.

Marko

Re: Some Mixes in MIR

They all sound good - one would only be better than the other depending upon your needs, and what you are looking to accomplish. That said, I like the last the least - it's a bit too mono for my tastes, but that's really more of an opinion thing than anything else. Also, it really does not sound like it is sitting in the back of a hall.

Nice piece.

Cheers.

I agree with Jeffrey, the last one sounds like the players are four feet from my nose. As expensive as MIR is,,,
    and far more than Altiverb, how in the world could this get messed up?

Another somewhat arrogant thing for some interested in MIR is that I understand only VSL instruments can play through it.

The tremolo sections need to be lowered in volume, in my head, I can see the software switching between the articulations. The transitions are not natural.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Another somewhat arrogant thing for some interested in MIR is that I understand only VSL instruments can play through it.
    ... not totally true because you can use "third party" VSTi with the new update. And i'm pretty sure que MIR Pro will be awsome for this
    Mathieu Laprise
    www.studiosonomax.com

Quote Originally Posted by SyQuEsT View Post
    ... not totally true because you can use "third party" VSTi with the new update. And i'm pretty sure que MIR Pro will be awsome for this
    Can you process any audio tracks through it? If so, they made a good decision to allow that.

Dan

Thanks Jeffrey. I prefer the first two to the last. I posted the last as a point of contrast. I am quite surprised by the lack of reflection in it. The stereo is lost in the last one too. Perhaps I should try for somewhere in between.

Dan. Thanks for listening. It sounds more mono to me than a few feet away. I think the first piece seems like the players are a few feet away and the left right separation of the players becomes an issue. As much as I like the first one, I think its too spread out. I don't think I used any tremolo samples in this. I did use performance repetitions (crescendo and decrescendo repetition effects).

Im not sure what you mean by 'arrogant'. Regardless, MIR can host a lot of VSTs. I've used Battery 3, Kontackt player 3 + 4, a Gamelan vst and Evolve Mutations.

Altiverb is not 64 bit and I've changed my platform. I hate to say it, but my Altiverb is collecting dust.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Can you process any audio tracks through it? If so, they made a good decision to allow that.

Dan
    I'm pretty sure it will. I read this on a forum last summer...
    Mathieu Laprise
    www.studiosonomax.com

Red face Re: Some Mixes in MIR

I like nr. 2 most.

I quote DAN's comments: it sounds pretty electronic; if it's your aim, it's ok (sounds musically very nice anyway) but if your aim is realistic string solos performance, we are quite far from the target here (usual Vienna editing issue...).

"It sounds pretty electronic;"

Then it's back to square one.

Marko

don't lose hope Marko, the piece is really cool! Honest!

I think the biggest weakness is not your fault, but a lack of attack "grit"
    in the editing of the samples from VSL.

Don't worry, I love VSL, I wish I could afford it.
    Dan

Go Back to forum