• Register
  • Help

Topic: How much more work is needed?

Share/Bookmark

How much more work is needed?

Hello, all.

Before you listen to the following file, i must first introduce myself.

My name is Colin Malone and, although i have a digital workstation, i know very little in the way of music production.
    I have been using 'FL Studio' for the past four years (on and off) but have never finished a composition in any genre, be it pop, electric, house, rap or classical.
    I've often wondered what it must feel like to actually sit and listen to a completed piece of music after working so hard on it.

Well, today i finished (i think) something that i have kept on my hard drive and kept going back to for almost two years.

Knowing very little about the way music is put together, i have very strong doubts whether this is as good for you to listen to as it is for me.

I don't play any instruments, not knowing how to play one, but i do have a midi keyboard controller which i use just for auditioning synths which i have either purchased or downloaded for free from the web so, all notes were inserted into the piano roll using the mouse.

So, with all that in mind, could you please let me know if this sounds ok?

If the mix needs attention, please tell me where.

Oh well, i hope you like it, it's Khachaturian's 'Masquerade Waltz'.

EDIT: oops, GPO4 used.

http://www.box.net/shared/sla2dsa2ad

Re: How much more work is needed?

The composition itself is great - cheerful and joyous! You could add some reverb, though, to spice it up! And also: perhaps the strings stood out a bit too much, I mean the 'balance' between instruments might need some work? Otherwise - great stuff!
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Thanks for the feedback, Brindle.

So, thats reverb and mixing...will get onto that, asap.

Thanks again .

Scar.

Great job Colin and welcome to the Forum! Brindle is correct on the reverberation, it always seems to liven things up; Khachaturian Walz - verb this is your mp3 with an Impulse Response added, (Sir v1 - free). When I did this, I had to fiddle with the eq a bit, to bring the balance back,(not perfect). The reverberation would sound a lot better if applied to each track individually, instead of globally, as I did here.
    Thanks for sharing this dramatic waltz, I look forward to more!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Well, this was a lot of work Colin ... you should be quite proud of yourself! Nice job. As others have pointed out, once you get a piece to this point, there's always things you can do to move into the realm of a really polished recording. And you can go crazy tweaking, so take your time, enjoy the process, and learn as you go.

BTW ... GREAT piece of music! Was this all done in FL?

This is a very nice start to what is hopefully the first of many pieces you post!

Regards,

Frank

As already said, great stuff and it needs some reverberation on the groups. Also the balance. I knew this piece but didn't know it was Katchaturian.

What is FL? By the way, if you have the patience to copy this work and bringing it out, then you are on the right road for your own compositions. Analyze those existing scores, listen to them a thousand times while reading them and finally you will end up making a great piece of your own.

Raymond

Forgot to tell you and answering your question about how much work is needed..... be sure it consumes all of your spare time, every free minute, even if you are not actual busy with music, you mould your musical ideas in your brain.

In my sleep I dream new compositions, but then reality is there in the morning and then I set myself back to work on the project at hand. Prokofiev worked on several compositions - some sort of multitasking - and we all tend to do that, we you must "plan" your work and sometimes it is going very slow.

But what the heck, we don't have to make money from it - at least I don't - and we have all time in the world to create one or more outstanding pieces.

Some guys overhere worked about ten years to make a full "musical" as I recall, some others needed just 4 months to compose a pianoconcerto, symphony, requiem, or else. Others only did it in three weeks or an afternoon. Go and read some biographies of great composers and music makers. Ellington spent a lifetime experimenting with sound and man he was and still is my favorite (though I am a classical musician).

You took the first step, there are thousands and thousand to go, but as the answer is on the question: how did you get to the top of the Mount Everest" : just step by step.

Raymond

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, really appreciate your time and advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    The reverberation would sound a lot better if applied to each track individually, instead of globally, as I did here.
    Thanks for sharing this dramatic waltz, I look forward to more!

Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Actually, i did put a reverb on each channel, but my pc is not up to scratch and it can't really handle anything with more than a pinch of just one effect, i'm on the look-out for a better computer at the moment.

Thanks very much for listening and of course, your advice.

[QUOTE=Frank D;644523]Well, this was a lot of work Colin ...[/QUOTE

Now, there's an understatement
    About six years ago, i put some midi notes into a free download midi sequencer which i found on the internet.
    That sequenser was the first one i had ever tried and i was just blown away.
    Obviously being free, it was not much of a program, but it allowed me to put what i had in my head, into a file and save.
    I kept going back to it, adding other instruments and trying to make it sound better.
    Eventually, i changed my hard drive for a larger one and did not swap all files across.
    After some months, i decided to re-download the midi sequencer and have another try at my work.
    Alas, the free sequencer was no longer available and i completely forgot about creating music and turned my attention to online gaming.
    After just twelve months, i was bored of online gaming and invested in FL Studio.
    I was gobsmacked! things had come a long way since free download sequencers were around, and the synths!!!...i'de only heard the likes on television or on my CD collection and, here i was, a hard drive full of sonic magic.
    I did'nt even know how it worked, but it looked great and made beautiful sounds.
    So after i got the hang of that, i grabbed my old midi file and popped it into the piano roll.
    No matter how i tried, i could not re-create the sound of an orchestra.
    Again, i put my old file to one side and concentrated on synth and electronic music, never finishing anything i'd started.
    I often thought about orchestral software but, all the programs i'd read or heard about were far beyond my budjet.
    Then, i heard about Garritan Personal Orchestra and when last Christmas came along, i had been given some money to get myself a little something.
    Garritan Personal Orchestra came into my life and onto my hard drive early this year and i'm feeling good.
    First thought in my head is 'Grab that file and get busy'.
    And now, after a looooong time, i'm almost there.
    This, for me, has become something that i can't let go of until it's complete.
    I'm not really sure i want to finish it, it's become an old friend... and yet, it feels like a burden.
    Oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    As already said, great stuff and it needs some reverberation on the groups. Also the balance. I knew this piece but didn't know it was Katchaturian.

What is FL? By the way, if you have the patience to copy this work and bringing it out, then you are on the right road for your own compositions. Analyze those existing scores, listen to them a thousand times while reading them and finally you will end up making a great piece of your own.

Raymond
    Thanks a bunch, Ray.

FL is short for Fruity Loops (as it was once called) its now known as FL Studio.

You guys have really made my day.

Thanks again, everyone for your nice words.

Colin.

Go Back to forum