• Register
  • Help

Topic: first go at this sort of stuff...

Share/Bookmark

first go at this sort of stuff...advice?

it's my first try at an actual orchestrated anything. what would make this better? any advice/constructive criticism is welcome.

http://www.box.net/shared/nk2r8sg7f1

tia, and cheers!

kell

Re: first go at this sort of stuff...

Hi Kell & Welcome!

I wouldn't say advice or criticism but some friendly opinions based on your work:

... re-verb. Definitely need some more re-verb.

Also more counterpoint. It seemed that most of the time instruments were moving in unison.

And expansion; hope you spend more time on developing this work.

A very great start for sure!
    Would like to hear more from you.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Welcome to Northern Sounds Kell!

Not bad,,,.... not bad at all!
    Dan

Perfect!!! Thanks so much Michael, that's just the sort of insight i was looking for. I had to chuckle when you mentioned needing more reverb...I'm pretty much a notorious reverb freak, so you exposed a rare moment of restraint!

Insofar as the counterpoint, i'd hoped i'd dealt it at least a glancing blow with the piccolo/flute/staccato viola figure against the moving bass. Were you thinking more of that sort of thing? The same figure is applied to the crescendo, but modifications due to conflicts with other parts really seem to hinder the impact. That's been a major challenge for me. of course burying everything in harmonies probably isn't helping the clarity, either. so much fun new stuff to play with, though!
    Something you've got me thinking now is also to try breaking up the hard unison chord changes by finding different workable extensions/common tones to replace current chord tones for some of the parts. It'd certainly add more variety and excitement, and might be the rethink that could solve the crescendo issues i'm having (namely, it's just a not very good arrangement at this stage!).

Expansion is in the works...when i've got this worked out, it's on to the next section!
    Again, thanks so much for the suggestions...I'll update with further experiments. oh, and more reverb!

kell

Hi Kell,

Welcome and nice work!

I enjoyed this very much. And although I value Michael's opinion, I'll respectfully disagree that this passage needs more counterpoint. It's all very subjective of course, but I liked the feel of the concerted harmony, especially coupled with those pauses ... I especially loved those pauses! Excellent! To me, keeping it simple in this opening statement added to the stealth-like nature of the piece.

I will say that as your piece unfolds and develops, adding counterpoint after this opening passage will really have an impact on the listener due to the contrast in styles. I really look forward to the next part!

Regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Welcome to Northern Sounds Kell!

Not bad,,,.... not bad at all!
    Dan
    Thanks, Dan, and hello!
    Do I remember you from over at the 'nation? I miss that program (and my old mac) on a daily basis, especially for this kind of stuff!

cheers!

kell

Hi Kell,
    it's me, it's me
    I am still popping up every now and then over at motunation.com.
    previously unicornation.com

So you don't have a Mac anymore? Awe,,
    You'll get one again I sure do love mine.

It is awesome that you are getting into some classical music.
    I just started using computers for music back in 2004 when I bought
    a Mac G4, Digital Performer and GPO.
    It has been an incredible learning experience.

You will learn so much about what makes music tick, and GPO can teach you that.
    Dan

Dan,
    It's always nice to see a familiar face on this here interweb thing
    i was "relieved of my mac's burden" a while back i haven't had the $ to replace it yet, but it is GOING to happen! in the meantime, i have something i can at least work with, so i can't really complain.
    i got into the whole music/computer thing in the late 90's, i had a vs-880, and was going to buy cakewalk pro to automate my mixes/bounces. the salesguy convinced me to try cubase instead, and i've been broke ever since
    i picked up gpo recently mostly to use it for string/brass stuff in pop-type music. i'm a fan/admirer of "arranged" music, like classical or big band, so i finally wanted to have a go at using gpo for what it's really intended for. it's amazing. i've learned so much in just the last week or so with this little project...i still have so much to learn, but the change in headspace is fresh and exciting. i'm just swimming in new ideas and things to try.
    the vibe here is so positive and encouraging, and the resources are just amazing. you'd have to try hard to NOT learn and grow. great stuff.
    see ya around!

kell

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Kell,

Welcome and nice work!

I enjoyed this very much. And although I value Michael's opinion, I'll respectfully disagree that this passage needs more counterpoint. It's all very subjective of course, but I liked the feel of the concerted harmony, especially coupled with those pauses ... I especially loved those pauses! Excellent! To me, keeping it simple in this opening statement added to the stealth-like nature of the piece.

I will say that as your piece unfolds and develops, adding counterpoint after this opening passage will really have an impact on the listener due to the contrast in styles. I really look forward to the next part!

Regards,

Frank
    Frank,
    Thanks! I'm really glad you enjoyed it.
    as i'd mentioned to Michael, i think the middle needs some work, but i've got some ideas to try.
    it's really cool that you liked the pauses. the idea was to express a little girl trying not to fall asleep, but losing the battle. the varying dynamic builds and rests seemed to convey that "dozing...no awake!...dozing...no, AWAKE!..." feel pretty well.
    when everything else is in line, i want to make the piece more rubato (had to look that one up)...to further emphasize that loose, drowsy feel.

so, back to work for me!
    cheers,
    kell

Welcome Kell and kudos on your first use of GPO. I thought you
    produced a real nice mix and some compositional ideas that I
    haven't heard recently. The "pauses" catch the listener's attention
    right away and then they are hooked..........lol

A real nice start Kell.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum