• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Notion 3

Share/Bookmark

Notion 3

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody around here is using it and how does the new recordings performs or compare to other library? Also I was wondering if anybody as any experience using it with other library like EWQL Symphonic or VSL... The new version has basically all I need now to incorporate it in my workflow(Rewire, Audio import) and I always has been quite interested in that product.

Thanks.

Re: Notion 3

I really really like it! It's really intuitive in many things and they actually add new features with many new updates. The sounds are good for notation purposes, but I'm sure many people will still choose 3rd party libraries for realistic renditions.

You can currently program your instruments with modwheel data by adding a separate sequencing track, but they say they will improve this - hopefully it'll be possible to do this within the actual notation track like in Overture one day. It isn't yet possible to send custom keyswitches by adding symbols (like in Overture), but you can use the same sequencing track to do this too. What I mean by this is that you can have a separate track that sends all the data to your notation track and shows the CC-data, so with two tracks / instrument you can do almost everything you want.

I've only used LASS with it - there are no presets ready, but it's quite easy to program while still having the notation and the results are good. I really like the software and it has been quite inspiring!

I've personally had some issues with Rewire, I don't know if these are fixed with the latest build, though.

But.... try the demo! It seems this software is on its way to the completely right direction for those who want to sequence some of their orchestral mockups directly in a notation program.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Thank you for your input, if you are using it with LASS means that you can basically use any Kontakt instruments like KH RUBY by example?

Isn't keyswitching handle by score anotation on that type of program?

I have the demo downloaded and will try it out soon.

Also they mentionned they have presets for Kontakt, VSL, Play Symphonic, do you know if there is anywhere score example rendered by each one of those to be able to compare them out?

Quote Originally Posted by labou View Post
    Thank you for your input, if you are using it with LASS means that you can basically use any Kontakt instruments like KH RUBY by example?

Isn't keyswitching handle by score anotation on that type of program?

I have the demo downloaded and will try it out soon.

Also they mentionned they have presets for Kontakt, VSL, Play Symphonic, do you know if there is anywhere score example rendered by each one of those to be able to compare them out?
    Hi!

That's the thing - you can't yet send custom keyswitches in Notion3. You can send keyswitches by annotations on those instruments that are programmed as presets (including the named 3rd party libraries), but not to for example LASS. For this you just have to type in the actual notes on the second staff and send them to the instrument channel. But it's not so much trouble as it seems.

What you CAN do by annotations is to switch midi channel so that if you have for example violin arco on channel 1 in your Kontakt (yes, Kontakt instruments work) and violin pizz. on channel 2, you can just enter an annotation that will switch from channel 1 to 2 or vice versa and name this annotation to anything. So by doing this, I was able to program LASS just fine and have annotations like arco, spicc. and pizz. that did precisely what they say.

I don't know about the EWQL renditions, but you can register on their forum and ask the users there - maybe there's someone who can provide a demo or maybe it even exists.
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

How do you switch MIDI channels?

You click SHIFT+I to bring out the instrument-dialog, choose the same instrument but another channel from the pop-up. Then hit ok and insert the resulting item on the staff.
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

OK; thought you meant that there was an annotation that would do that.

Well, it is.

Hitting SHIFT+i opens a dialog where you choose to what channel and instrument you wish to change. After you hit OK, your cursor has the resulting annotation that does the switching. You can then place it to where ever you want and you can rename it to whatever you want, too.

The settings dialog just comes first.
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

I have to say that I just got the upgrade to the program, and I am totally loving it! MUCH better then the previous version! It is worth a look-see folks!
    I may be dumping Finale!

Peace

Rikp

Quote Originally Posted by rikp View Post
    I have to say that I just got the upgrade to the program, and I am totally loving it! MUCH better then the previous version! It is worth a look-see folks!
    I may be dumping Finale!

Peace

Rikp
    For composing, yeah, it rocks. For final notation publishing, don't chuck Finale just yet. Even Lubo Astinov from Notion says that it's supposed to be used in tandem with the larger notation programs like Finale or Sibelius.

Go Back to forum