• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sketch of "Duel of the fates" by John Williams

Share/Bookmark

"Duel of the fates" by John Williams

Hello everyone,

I have started "Duel of the fates" written by John Williams.

It's the beginning of it and it's all done with GPO4.

As it is in early sketch stage, the choral does not sing yet. I will make it sing when all the notes will be entered.

Let me know if it is worth to continue it or abandon it.

Cheers,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Re: Sketch of "Duel of the fates" by John Williams

Definitely continue, looks promising!
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Fred;
    I am intrigued, go for it!!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Thanks for your replies guys,

As it seems people like it, I'll post regularly the progressing work.

As this is a quiet big project, it will take some time to complete.

So don't be afraid to check regularly this post and tell me what you think about it.

This GPO4 sketch has 74 tracks and the final rendering will have a singing choir.

I hope the JABB and COMB will be available soon in ARIA, I really need tom-toms from Garritan in this piece.

Thanks!

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

I have updated the file.
    The first part is done.
    There is no spoon.

He re is the first part of "Duel of the fates" with a singing choir.

Let me know what do you think about it.

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Fred;
    The EWQLSC sounds pretty powerful and the words sound clear, great to hear you demo it like this, although I also liked your version of O Fortuna!
    The EWQLSC is still on my wish list, but I think I will need to upgrade from my XP P4 3.25 Ghz processor/2 GB Ram setup to a quad-core with at least 6 or 8 GB Ram and W7 or Vista, to properly run it. I can't remember what your setup is?
    Anyway, your choir is awesome, but watch the little jabs of either winds or brass in a few places, they are tending to "bite into" the choir and are distracting, so try setting them back somewhat with appropriate reverb etc.
    The ways you have handled some of the other touches are real good, especially in and around the little harp bit!
    Look forward to more, thanks for the update!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

I will state my prejudice now so that it is out in the open.

I think that Williams is probably the greatest composer alive today. So anyone that presents his work is doing the world a favor, so keep at it.

Cisco does bring up some good points with some of the brass and other winds.

Nice work

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks for the replies

I appreciate them.

For the chorus, it is supposed to be in the back of the orchestra, then percussions then brasses, then woodwinds, then strings in front. You learn nothing. So, it's normal that brasses seems to be above the chorus. It's the same thing in the real version. But maybe I'm wrong.

@sd cisco:
    I have a MacPro QuadCore 2,66GHz with 10GB of RAM an Apogee Duet and Sennheizer HD-600. That's all...

As Garritan don't provide any singing choir, I used indeed EWQLSC (sorry). EWQLSC is hard to make it work under Logic, but it worth of it as you have heard.

I tried to put all my knowledge in computerized symphonic music in this piece.

There will be always people that like and other that don't like.

@ron:
    John Williams is indeed a good composer. With his army of orchestrators they are doing great job. I don't do orchestrations from him often because they are very massive. I do John Williams once or twice in a year. When JABB will be available in ARIA and all my libraries fixed, I'll try to do "Escapade" from "Catch me if you can". I have not seen the movie, but I like the music.

For now, I concentrate on my Tropical March that will be played for real. I didn't expected it would take so much work to make it play for real.

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Go Back to forum