• Register
  • Help

Topic: Note Duration in Finale

Share/Bookmark

Note Duration in Finale

I purchased a MIDI interface the other day (Yamaha) and hooked our Yamaha keyboard up to it. I got it all installed and hooked up. Using Finale (the demo version, 2010 - I haven't decided on a notation program yet) I was playing around some. It recognizes all of the notes perfectly, but not rhythms - if it's set at 8th notes, it only plays 8th notes, etc. Is there any way around this on Finale? If not, what program lets you just play and notates the rhythms without you having to set it differently for each different duration?

(Am I making any sense at all?)

Re: Note Duration in Finale

If your shortest note is a 16th note, then set it for 16th notes. It should interpret the other note values for 8th, quarter, etc.

Jim

That's what I thought, but if I set it at 16th then everything I play, however long, is a 16th note.

Is your metronome set to quarter Notes in the Playback and/or Click window? Make sure this is set to a quarter note. It should then have all the note durations. See Tutorial 1C: Hyperscribe to make sure everything is setup right.

Jim

Well, the problem was that I was trying to do something in Finale Notepad that you can't do in Finale Notepad. Thankfully the version I had was just a free one, so now I'm going to try Finale PrintMusic, which has hyperscribe...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyleian View Post
    what program lets you just play and notates the rhythms without you having to set it differently for each different duration?

(Am I making any sense at all?)
    The problem is the software can't tell, if you accidentally bump the wrong key while trying to play the right one, that you didn't WANT that 32nd note, unless you tell it that all 32nd notes should be ignored.

Sibelius has something called "Flexi-Time", which doesnt exactly fix the problem but makes it more manageable. Basically it figures out what tempo you are trying to play and adjusts itself. So if you slow down, its metronome slows down.

BTW, I used Finale for several years, cursing at it constantly. But when Sibelius got to be as full-featured, I jumped ship. It's far more intuitive, so if you don't use it for 2 months, you don't have to read the manual again to remember how to do the basics (because the menu item you want is in a menu that doesn't appear until after you have chosen something in a DIFFERENT menu).

Go Back to forum