• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Dan Dean Solo Brass

Share/Bookmark

Dan Dean Solo Brass

Just listened to the demo of the DD Solo Brass and I have to say that as a pro trumpet player, they are without doubt the best sounding samples I\'ve heard.

I\'d like to hear some more demos of them, maybe a fanfare, something with a bit more bite and volume, but the demo that is up there sounds very good.

Nick and Thomas_J - you\'ve been beaten to it, so you can give up arguing know!

When I\'ve got the cash together, I\'ll be purchasing the set.

One other thing Dan, have you thought about converting your giasamples to run in Halion?

Having played around with it, I think it would be useful to run both Gigastudio and Halion and at the same, and would love to be able to process some of your sounds with VST effects without having to first turn the midi file into Audio.

Anyway, keep up the good work with the samples.

Cheers
    Adrian

Re: Dan Dean Solo Brass

The demo is decent, but I have reservations - even about the trumpet. If the only sustained articulations of solo trumpet in the library are (like the flute in Dan Dean) non-vib and vibrato like the one heard in the demo, I don\'t like it. Vibrato should not be so static, it sounds really unnatural in most cases....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adrian H:
    Just listened to the demo of the DD Solo Brass and I have to say that as a pro trumpet player, they are without doubt the best sounding samples I\'ve heard.

I\'d like to hear some more demos of them, maybe a fanfare, something with a bit more bite and volume, but the demo that is up there sounds very good.

Nick and Thomas_J - you\'ve been beaten to it, so you can give up arguing know!

When I\'ve got the cash together, I\'ll be purchasing the set.

One other thing Dan, have you thought about converting your giasamples to run in Halion?

Having played around with it, I think it would be useful to run both Gigastudio and Halion and at the same, and would love to be able to process some of your sounds with VST effects without having to first turn the midi file into Audio.

Anyway, keep up the good work with the samples.

Cheers
    Adrian
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks Adrian,

I\'ve been working like a dog laterly on all of this stuff, and there will be more mp3\'s that illustrate the wide dynamic range of the Solo Brass. Thanks for your comments!

DD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IOComposer:
    The only thing that I don\'t care for is the vibrato in the trumpet. It sounds very synthetic. However, if there is a non vibrato version that would be great.
    -J
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I like the vibrato. When playing quiet notes like in the excerpt of Dvorak 9th that DD programmed, most classical players would use a vibrato like that to colour the note and stop it sounding dull.
    Admittedly that vibrato would sound wrong when playing louder, brighter passages, but if the player who was sampled is a classical player then he would most likely have played with a vibrato corresponding to the volume, attack and nature of each type of note he recorded.

I do hope that this is the case, and that there are some versions without vib as well of course. But I think if you want a sound with vibrato, then you are better using one that was recorded with vibrato rather than adding vib with midi as that to a trained ear does sound synthetic.

Thes are just my thoughts, but I hope DD gets up some new demos of it soon, so we can see how the brass sounds in a different style.

Cheers
    Adrian

------------------
    Chetham\'s School of Music exists to educate exceptionally gifted young musicians.

I agree that having a vibrato patch available is a definite plus. As long as there is a non-vibrato patch for those really loud parts, I will be happy.

I am really impressed by the attack and tone quality of the trumpet. Top notch. The vibrato doesn\'t sound totally natural to me, but I am listening on crappy speakers.

It will be interesting to hear how the trumpet does with faster passages.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamieh:
    I agree that having a vibrato patch available is a definite plus. As long as there is a non-vibrato patch for those really loud parts, I will be happy.

I am really impressed by the attack and tone quality of the trumpet. Top notch. The vibrato doesn\'t sound totally natural to me, but I am listening on crappy speakers.

It will be interesting to hear how the trumpet does with faster passages.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    There are separate Trumpet NV and V disks. The NV is really bright, whereas the Trumpet V was created more for solo purposes.

The Trumpet was done by Allen Vizzutti, who IS world class, although the liner notes say Michael Bonessa at his request. The vibrato is his natural vibrato.

Thanks,
    DD

Well damn Dan, if that is his natural vibrato then I take back my comment about it being \"unnatural\". I\'ll have to listen to the demo on something other than these tin cans I have at work. I think it will be great to have a vibrato version for solo work, as I use your vibrato solo cello CONSTANTLY because it sounds so much like a real player using real expression.

The tone of the trumpet is awesome. It sounds really really good. I\'m excited to hear the bright NV version as well.

Any hints as to when this will be available? I have a project I\'m working on now that could use this library, at least the trumpet for sure.

Allen Vizzutti!!!?
    Wow. How did you get him to let you sample him? I used to listen to his albums all of the time. I wanted to be just like him when I was studying trumpet as he\'s well known for being one of the fastest and acurate trumpet players in the world (next to Wynton, that is
    -J

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IOComposer:
    Allen Vizzutti!!!?
    Wow. How did you get him to let you sample him? I used to listen to his albums all of the time. I wanted to be just like him when I was studying trumpet as he\'s well known for being one of the fastest and acurate trumpet players in the world (next to Wynton, that is
    -J
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I play in his band, and he\'s my neighbor...but we\'re referring to Michael Bonessa, aren\'t we? Wait until you hear some of the high notes. They start perfect and continue perfect the entire note length. Some were 35 seconds long! I had to trim them to get the Trumpet on 1 disk. \"Michael\" is one of the fastest Trumpet players I have ever heard and I played with a lot of them in L.A. and elsewhere. The \"ensemble\" presets are great.

DD

That\'s awesome, Dan.
    No wonder the vibrato sounds artificial...that guy\'s a machine!!
    -J

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast