• Register
  • Help

Topic: Would you hire a Duduk player online (or other instruments)?

Share/Bookmark

Would you hire a Duduk player online (or other instruments)?

I am thinking of throwing down the money to buy a nice Duduk, since it is a sound that is becoming a lot more common in scores, but I'm not sure if I can fully justify the cost. It got me thinking: I see ads for people who will record drums or guitar or horns or strings online for a small fee, but I don't know if I've seen anyone who does other instruments (like Duduk).

I have a nice studio with nice mics/preamps, and could record live instruments for other people via the internet.

Is this a service that any of you would be willing to pay for? Do any of you do this now (either hiring the musician or playing the instrument)? If It would cost you say $25 for a high quality recording of an actual Duduk for your score, would you be willing to pay this, or would you just stick to software no matter what? How about a Bansuri? Are there other ethnic or uncommon instruments that you would pay a small fee for a pro recording?

Re: Would you hire a Duduk player online (or other instruments)?

Could it really be done for $25? I don't see how. But if so, yes I think there would be clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisman View Post
    Could it really be done for $25? I don't see how. But if so, yes I think there would be clients.
    Well, I already have a studio with some nice mics and preamps, and I already play some woodwind instruments. I am thinking that it takes me less than 5 minutes from when I walk into the studio until I am ready to record, another 15 minutes to learn the cue, 30 minutes for recording and editing if needed, and 10 minutes to send out the files. So it's about an hours worth of work, and with my anticipated future schedule, I am going to have a lot of periods throughout the week where I have 1-2 hour stretches of time.

I was thinking that this would be a good way for me to fill up some of that time, and would help to justify spending a little bit more on buying a nicer instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
    Well, I already have a studio with some nice mics and preamps, and I already play some woodwind instruments. I am thinking that it takes me less than 5 minutes from when I walk into the studio until I am ready to record, another 15 minutes to learn the cue, 30 minutes for recording and editing if needed, and 10 minutes to send out the files.
    I suggest you do some tests how much time you really need for which amount of recorded music. I did that.

I wonder whether you did factor in any machine costs for your gear. If not, the model would not be sustainable.

What means "nice studio"? How is it treated?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

... and the possibilty to pay with Paypal ! and yes, it could be nice ! why not some irish flutes ?
    Mathieu Laprise
    www.studiosonomax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
    I suggest you do some tests how much time you really need for which amount of recorded music. I did that.

I wonder whether you did factor in any machine costs for your gear. If not, the model would not be sustainable.

What means "nice studio"? How is it treated?

This would certainly not be a primary income, I already write themes and music for podcast and radio, and will be doing some short films soon. This would be a little bit on the side, purely as time allows.

As of right now I can write and record a 60 second fully produced piece of music in around 3-4 hours (depending on the style and complexity), so I am fairly sure I can record a short piece on one instrument in less than an hour.

As for studio, we remodeled the house earlier this year, and just finished the studio this last month. I am still working on a few projects for it (a little more storage, changing some of the diffusion, rewiring some patch panels, etc.), but I have been getting good results in rooms that are far smaller with much less attention paid to acoustics in the past, and so far my results in this room are great.

I wouldn't be able to get the large scoring stage sound, but I can get a nice closed mic'ed sound, and with the addition of a little reverb, the sound would fit in nicely to a cue.

I am paying $100 a track online for a good drummer for well recorded multi-tracked drums and that includes 1 retake if necessary. So I would definitely pay for a Duduk. 1 real instrument makes a big difference when the rest are all samples.

Are you already an accomplished Duduk player?

How many years and study of the Duduk will you devote before you are considered a professional Duduk'ist that people would want to pay for you to play it?

It is one thing to record it nicely, but who wants a nice recording of a poorly played Duduk?

Many of these ethnic instruments are very quirky, and for them to sound right, you need a knowledge of how they are played.

I went out and bought a Ney flute a few years ago, after I saw guy playing one in a shop here in Dubai. Looked Easy. Brought it home and after two weeks, I could only barely get a sound out of it. It now sits in my cabinet as a decoration.
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

I don't expect to purchase a new Duduk and be a master at it in a month. I do play a variety of woodwinds, have always been able to pick them up fairly quickly, and understand what it takes to become an accomplished musician on an instrument.

Let's put aside the question of ability to play the instrument for a moment, and just assume that the quality of performance is going to be good.

I own a duduk and I can tell you it is a very difficult instrument to master. It requires a considerable amount of breath, much more than a flute.
    I think if you are already an oboe or clarinet player it must be easier.

Also, there are some sample instruments around that sound quite good and convincing for bringing some atmosphere. So I think your playing will need to be really good and professional that surpasses the ordinary sampled sounds.

That said, I think that there is certainly a client base for this, but I think that 25$ four an hour of work is not very much. How much will that leave you after taxes...?
    I work in the graphic design business where 50 euro/hour is more common...

Go Back to forum