• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Concerto for 2 violins

Share/Bookmark

Concerto for 2 violins

Hello Everyone,

Here's a short piece I wrote few times ago. I just remade it using my GPO and I would like to share with you. It's a little Concerto for 2 violins in kind of Baroque style.

http://www.box.net/shared/uvvgqs83mb

Hope you will enjoy and waiting for your comments !

Regards

Charles

Talking Re: Concerto for 2 violins

Charles

Welcome to the LR.

While I am not a huge fan of baroque music (which is pronounced Broke, right? ), there are still the occasional broke pieces I like.

This one is a bit quick but I guess if that is all you have to say, it does work.

Nicely done.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Re: Concerto for 2 violins

Hi Ron,

Thanks for listening and comment.

View the lot of comments I got on this short piece, I guess there are perhaps not so much fans of baroque in here, or perhaps this work is not as good as it should be (more probable I guess !)

Anyway,

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    This one is a bit quick but I guess if that is all you have to say, it does work.
    I totally agree on that. As beginner in composition, I really do have some difficulties to build up my melodies and theme. I hope I will learn, with experience to more build up and enlarge (not sure about this word in english, sorry I'm french) my music.

Thanks again.

Regards
    Charles

Bonjour Charles,

I enjoyed hearing this piece and, although I am no expert in the baroque style,
    it sounded very much like it.

From a compositional point of view I would build up more the crescendo
    (which starts around 1:00), emphasizing more the chord progressions.
    I would also lengthen a bit the finale so that it would be
    in the right proportion to the crescendo.

From a dynamic point of view you can really make it sound better by smoothing
    the passages between bars so that there are less repeated accentuations.
    The use of of modulation (CC1) would really get out the dynamics of each instrument,
    especially in the crescendo and finale.

Thanks for posting and keep on working!

~Yudit~

The first thing I noticed is that the soloists are almost indistinguishable from the rest of the orchestra. It's more of a concerto grosso.

It does sound baroque. I would have expected it to be a bit longer, with a modulation to another key somewhere in the final progression, then a repetition, and only then a coda, and a less abrupt ending too, but that doesn't imply that it's a bad composition. I like baroque, and this is quite pleasant to hear. It sounded a bit Italian to me, say Corelli. The rendering could use a bit of work, but it's effective.
    Theo

Hello Charles and Welcome!!
    Decidedly Baroque and reveals some of your musical inclination - keep at it, I am sure plenty more fun and discovery, lies awaiting!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Dear Yudit, Theo and sd cisco,

Thanks for listening, commenting and above all advising !
    I'll keep in my mind these precious advises for my future compositions, and also for this one if I decide one day to re-work this short piece.

To sd cisco :

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    I am sure plenty more fun and discovery, lies awaiting!!
    Sorry I did not get what you mean
    (plz apologize my unskilled English comprehension )

Regards
    Charles

Charles;
    I mean you will have a lot of fun and interesting things to discover as you continue using GPO4 - I know I did when I bought it about a year ago.

Enjoy yourself and I look forward to more of your music!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

I'm a baroque musician and I thought your piece was nice. Actually think performance wise it would sound better at a slightly quicker tempo, and with a bit more swing to the dotted rhythm. Also, try emphasizing down beats and strong portions beats. In baroque music, you generally want to follow the beat hierarchy. For instance, if you have four eighth notes, you place the strongest emphasis on the first and third notes ( the "good" notes) and place weaker emphasis on the second and especially the fourth note ( the "bad" notes). This is not suppose to be strictly followed but only in general.

The andante movement of RV 153 is in a similar structure to your composition. Here's a good performance of it (starts at 2:26):

RV 153

You can hear the strong emphasis on the downbeat and the exaggerated swinging dotted rhythm in their performance. Although, I do think they could have played it a little faster, but it's still a fine performance.

Händel? Nice piece, try more variation in volume/dynamics and tempo.
    Accent the notes for that rhythmic beat in baroque music (and I always wondered why the "modern" versions need some drumbox, it is rhythmic enough). Go on with it.

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast