• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fordale

Share/Bookmark

Fordale

A few days ago, Dale asked me to write a trumpet piece. So, here it is. It does not resemble much of anything else I have composed. In form, I would describe it as Introduction - Canon - Fughetta - Coda. The fughetta is short but the subject & counter-subject is long. The coda is really just a very short development of the introduction.

Fordale

The mp3 uses GPO Steinway and CMB trumpet.

Richard

Re: Fordale

Very nice. I particularly like what happens to tonality during the Fughetta.

Pat

I like this a lot Richard! Great sound.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Wow Richard

This is nothing like what I would have expected from you.

I will add one piece of advice and that is to try to get more dynamics into each note on the trumpet. If I remember right, you use a notation program so it would mean adding a ton of hairpins to the score. When I used Sibelius, I use to have 2 or more hairpins per measure to try to get movement out of the instruments. I would also exaggerate the steps. Meaning I would add something like pp hairpin mf hairpin p hairpin mp, in one measure.

Nice work on this

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Well, thank you all. I am always pleased when someone has sufficient interest in my work to listen, and comment. I wish my setup was faster so I could do a bit more of same!

Ron, as usual, you are right on target. My weak point definitely is dynamics, probably related to my organ background, and limited practice with GPO and brass.

But you missed on my input. I input using Sonar, Fatar controller keyboard and GPO. My last step is importing to Sibelius, which I use strictly as a notation program. I record using Sonar, exporting to wav, and then convert to mp3, usually 128 Kbps. For my Sony Walkman, I use 320 Kbps.

I have enough leftover parts to create a substantial part of my next organ work. It is basically a variation on the canon.

Richard

That's a thorough work. It's baroque-like in structure, rhythm and sound, but the harmony isn't, which sounds sort of early 20th century, German avant-garde going on neo-classicist to me (correct me if I'm wrong). The sound of the trumpet could indeed have benefitted from extensive programming, but it doesn't interfere with my perception of the music. It's a good piece: I like its concise nature, the overall development, and the connection between the movements, and it's interesting too. Good work.
    Theo

Well, now, Theo, your comments are indeed perceptive. Quasi-Baroque, harmony somewhere between late 19th century and 20/21st century avant garde. This was the best way that I could think of to please Dale, who had requested the piece, and to satisfy my own inclinations simultaneously. It makes me want to haul out my flugel horn and practice (can't use the cornet, gave it to my great-nephew). I expect it would take me a year or so to regain sufficient control to play it. I must also add that the thought of my playing this contributed heavily to it's composition.

Richard

Wow, Richard, that was beautiful!

I really enjoyed your piece ... you are a very gifted writer. You really don't hear a lot of trumpet-piano pieces and I don't know why; it's such a great combination.

The mix was nice and if you added a few breathing spaces in the trumpet lines, it would sound even more realitic.

Nice work!

Regards,

Frank

Well, thanks Frank. I am looking into the matter of breathing places as I am working on the Sibelius version of the score.

Richard

Go Back to forum