• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT-Hi there

Share/Bookmark

OT-Hi there

everybody hibernating? Or waking up very slowly from hibernation? Less messages, hardly any new compositions, no chat sessions, no news from the Garritan front, not even a report how the NAMM was....

Wake up guys

Raymond

Re: OT-Hi there

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    everybody hibernating? Or waking up very slowly from hibernation? Less messages, hardly any new compositions, no chat sessions, no news from the Garritan front, not even a report how the NAMM was....

Wake up guys

Raymond
    I'm new with GPO but I'll kick it off.
    I only had about an hour yesterday to start messing around with GPO 4 (in Sonar 8.3.1) but noticed the volume is very low and that velocity makes no difference at all.
    I know I need to RTFM (and I will) but is that normal?

Raymond, in my case, I am a VERY slow worker. I'm a terrible perfectionist when I am composing. It can take me a year to finish a 3-minute long piece for two instruments.

And spring time, for me, is the busiest time of the year, it is when I start hiring musicians for the music festival of which I am music director, and working on concert programs, hunting for subsidies/grants/sponsors, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by GRB53 View Post
    I know I need to RTFM (and I will) but is that normal?
    Yes, you must... but at the other hand the text is very boring, you will fall asleep while reading, for sure.

In GPO AND SONAR you must do the following:

a. GPO is ModWheel driven and with drawing CC#1 in Sonar you can add the volume/expression to instruments, which adds some extra volume;
    b. velocity is just the initial attack at the beginning of the note and doesn't really nothing else. A low velocity starts the note very softly and a higher velocity makes it "jump" in;
    c. you can also use CC#7, depends what you want. CC#7 is the base-volume of all instruments and above that comes the CC#1 as an extra expression tool, you know those swelling strings of Mr. Mantovani.

To mention them all:

CC#1= expressive volume (expression)
    CC#7= base volume
    CC#10= panning
    CC#20= portamento control for most instruments
    CC#21=length of the sample (I used that when short notes are there)
    CC#22=variation 1: intonation for repeated notes (low values!!!!)
    CC#23=variation 2: timbre/volume changes also for repeated notes (tremolos)
    CC#64=legato control, the pedal for pianos and the legato lines for others
    CC#16=for aggressive bow noise for the AG-patches of strings
    CC#19=together with pitchbend to solve portamento (I never used it)

There are differences for strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion and now you must fall back on the manual.........

Raymond - fully awake!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    Raymond, in my case, I am a VERY slow worker. I'm a terrible perfectionist when I am composing. It can take me a year to finish a 3-minute long piece for two instruments.
    That is a "real" largo.......

Raymond

No news from NAMM is probably Jeff Hurchalla and my fault since we were the only ones doing the Garritan demos this year. Actually, there wasn't much new to see at NAMM. Their were fewer companies this year with a couple biggies like Native Instruments and not being there. Many of the booths were moved around. Hall E on the lower level was half empty. This is the first time I've seen the show shrink in the 9 years I've attended.

Jim

Go Back to forum