• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: DRUM ROLL - Finally, it's time for Orchestration Challenge #23

Share/Bookmark

DRUM ROLL - Finally, it's time for Orchestration Challenge #23

My good Garritan friends - After far too long a gap of time since the last Orchestration Challenge, I'm finally doing my duty as winner of the last round, and posting a theme for you to work on.

We're going back to the way Challenge organizer Sean Hannifin originally conceived the contest. Awhile back I asked for input on what format people would prefer for the event, and the resoundingly preferred format was the original one. Here's the way that original concept was stated and agreed upon:

1) A complete melody line of approximately 8 measures which you orchestrate and develop.

Very simple the way it works:

Below is a melody line. It's in 3/4 and in the key of C. You need to retain the time signature, but feel free to move it into any key signature you'd like.

Arrange the melody in any way you would like, choosing any genre and instrumentation you want to work with.

Limit your entry's length to 4 minutes or under. Use Garritan Libraries, but if you feel the need for an element or two not found in your Garritan collection, you can add those instruments/sounds, but they must be out-numbered by Garritan instruments.

You may want to develop a B section based on this melody. Maybe even a C. But whatever you do, part of what we'll be listening for is a distinctly recognizable rendition of the original melody.

Melodies, by their nature, tend to suggest chord progressions. You may want to start out with the chords this melody suggests, but I would also encourage you to branch out beyond the more obvious chord progression.

In case it helps you get started, I think one obvious choice for this theme is as a romantic, cinematic theme. Because of its time signature and ballad-like nature, there's a warm, old fashioned feel to it. To go ahead and make the most out of those obvious elements is a fine start. And then I would encourage you to also do something more surprising with the material.

Here's the notation, and below that is the MIDI file:

CLICK HERE FOR THE MIDI FILE

EDIT: If you'd prefer a direct link to the folder where the MIDI file is located:

DIRECT LINK TO MIDI FILE FOLDER

General guidelines for this challenge can be found at Sean's site:
    http://www.wizardwalk.com/OrchestrationChallenges/

Entries should be sent to Sean Hannifin at seanthebest@gmail.com
    and we need to all thank him for administering the Challenge series.

We generally set a deadline 3 weeks* after the theme is posted. That would make the deadline Tuesday March 23rd.

EDIT: Let's make that a full month, so the deadline is Friday, April 2.

I hope lots of folks set aside a little time to participate - The more the merrier!

Randy B.

Re: DRUM ROLL - Finally, it's time for Orchestration Challenge #23

Hi Randy ... Nice job!

It's great to see another challenge up for grabs ... Nice melody and rhythm providing lots of meat for the participants. It should be a fun round and kick-start the Spring season of more wonderful music at the Garritan forum .

For some reason, I thought the usual time provided was about a month? I just thought any 1st-timers who we are trying to entice into participating may need the extra week. However, I defer to your memory as you have been doing these a lot longer than I have!

Once again, GREAT to see this one up and running!

Regards,

Frank

PS: So far, I have not been able to download the MIDI file ... I can play it, but I'm not getting the download location window when I selected "Save" ... could just be my system though.

Thanks for the post, Frank - Glad you like the little melody, and very glad to hear you're up for joining in. It's been far too long.

The deadline is actually up for discussion. It's been so long - maybe I'm not remembering correctly! ---Let's see, voting is for 3 weeks--you may be right, that the Challenge itself remains open for a month. Let's see what Sean says, I defer to him in all things regarding the Challenge.

Here's a direct link to the Box folder where the MIDI file is along with the notation image. --You should have some kind of instant downloader on your computer - it automatically prompts that you can save any kind of media you run into. I use the Download Helper on Firefox - it's great to always instantly be able to get MP3s, videos, whatever.

Here's the folder - there's a download button there:

DIRECT LINK TO FOLDER WITH MIDI FILE.

Randy

Thanks! Got it ... and got to go ... we're off to see "In The Heights" on B'Way this evening. I'll check back later!

Frank

Ooooookay! Thanks, Randy. I'll get to work on something right away.

Can't wait to try this again!

Excellent, Randy. I'm on it!

-- Ken

Good to hear from you on this, Hong Kong and Ken - SORRY it took me so long to get my act together.

AND - for the new folks here who may not know---I think I failed to mention what THE PRIZE is for winning this contest.

The prize - ACCLAIM AND FAME GALORE! - and we all know that's priceless, and valuable beyond mere monetary considerations!

SO - what are you waiting for? Fire up your music software of choice and start cooking up some music for us all to hear.

Randy B.

AND you can do whatever you want with the tempo. The file's tempo is fairly slow, and may fit what you want to do with the theme, but you can play with that tempo as freely as you want to.

To make sure the deadline update is clear - it's April 2nd.

C'mon now - Give yourself a little orchestration work out!

Randy B.

It's in the works. Nice melody, Randy!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    It's in the works. Nice melody, Randy!
    Hey,great, Rich - Thanks for letting me know you're already having fun with it.

Randy

Go Back to forum