• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Star What? theme song: samples in space!

Share/Bookmark

The Star What? theme song: samples in space!

The other day, I was reminded of the great movie Galaxy Quest (if you haven't seen it, you should). The movie is (in a way) a clever analysis of the Star Trek phenomenon, and the TV show version of its main theme sounds really like the real thing. That inspired me to analyze the common elements in such title songs and put another one together using the same principles. Basically, it was fun, and educational...

It was rendered using GPO4 and EWQLSO Gold (East-West Quantum-Leap Symphonic Orchestra). The latter only has a single solo instrument for all brass sections, which reduces flexibility, but the sound is more ballsy; the combination sounds pretty good to me.

I'm not completely happy about the levels (it was not easy to find the balance between volume and intensity), and one of the modulations, but this is not for the concert hall. I am very happy about the ending, though.

You can here it at soundclick.

I'm very curious what you think!
    Theo

Re: The Star What? theme song: samples in space!

Theo - I think it is outstanding!!
    If I were the TV or Film Producer, I would say, look no further, we have our theme and it's a wrap. Isn't it odd how such a project can inspire creativity? I understand it was done "in the style of" a Star Trek/Star Wars - so Star What? is great a name too!! What really shines through and is most important is your skillful use of the tools at hand and the very solid results!
    And yet, it is original and impressive.

Very good work!
    Maybe you should try another one (film theme), in an alternate genre, and see what comes of it?

Best regards,
    sd cisco

You've gone where no one has gone before. Great movie trailer music!

Raymond

Hi Theo,

Nice theme! I liked it. You made a good mockup.

I'm looking forward to a finalized version with more punch and big sound... EWQLSO and GPO4 can do more, even in 16bits.

Go ahead!

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Hi Theo,
    This really fits into the 'Space" category of music.
    A good theme and good brass writing.
    This would be a good Band number, but it's too short.
    I would think you could transpose this up a 4th; figure out a coda and have a great work.
    Gary

Hi Theo,

Nice! I believe the industry term for what you did is "turning <name of piece> on it's side". Well you really nailed the genre, complete with the typical Big Epic spacious mix.

I think there's enough meat in your 'clone' to do it in styles other than this William's style. Nice work!

Regards,

Frank

I enjoyed that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Isn't it odd how such a project can inspire creativity?
    Yes, it is odd, but at the same time we all need a spark for our creativity. I've always liked "music in the style of" (and also "prose in the style of"). You can wake me up for a clever pastiche. Thanks for your kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    You've gone where no one has gone before.
    And I thought I'd gone where a lot of people had gone before . Thanks for the praise!

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    I'm looking forward to a finalized version with more punch and big sound... EWQLSO and GPO4 can do more, even in 16bits.
    Oooh, that's a difficult one. I found the levels quite hard to get right. At the end I added a compressor, which is of course takes away the punch. I might even have to revise all mod wheel en velocity levels. Thanks for listening and encouraging!

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse View Post
    This would be a good Band number, but it's too short. I would think you could transpose this up a 4th; figure out a coda and have a great work.
    What's a band number? Anyway, I wanted this to be just as long as an average space opera theme, that is something between 1:10 and 1:30. I'll think about a longer version, with a really slow theme in it as well. A bit like the wonderful "First Contact" recreation that was posted here some time ago. Thanks for the accolades...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    I think there's enough meat in your 'clone' to do it in styles other than this William's style. Nice work!
    Star Trek's "Next Generation" theme, to which this is somewhat similar, was composed by Jerry Goldsmith (I think), but Williams is good enough for me (blush). Thanks for the comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by jsaras View Post
    I enjoyed that a lot.
    Thanks, that was the whole purpose of it!
    Theo

I like it!! Yes, the brass sounds great playing the theme most of the time. That really makes it sound cinematic and bold. Superb theme and mix. I like this idea of writing short tv/movie themes, don't see that attempted very often. And GPO constantly amazes me how great it sounds. Superb! Thanks for comments on Spring Awakes. Mike

So, when does your TV series start?

I really like the style and quality of this little piece. You have nailed the "Star -----" (insert word as needed) theme very well and managed to put your own spin on it as well. Don't let John Williams hear this, he may want to borrow it!

Thanks for putting the work into this. I enjoyed it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast