• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB Acoustic Guitar - Sound Characteristics

Share/Bookmark

JABB Acoustic Guitar - Sound Characteristics

I am using the JABB Acoustic Guitar but would like to change the character of the sound. I would like to try to make it sound a bit more 'folksy' I suppose, if that's the right description.

Here are very brief demo comparison of two guitars .. the first is the JABB instrument and the second is one I found more like what I'm trying to get.

Jazz and Big Band Acoustic Guitar Example

Model Acoustic Guitar Example

I've tried placing the JABB guitar in a setting in Altiverb and tried playing around with EQ in Sonar but I can't get even close.

Can anyone advise me on how to get closer to the sound I'm trying for with the JABB Acoustic. There are plenty of tools in Sonar but if there is another software tool available that would do the job I'd certainly look at it.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: JABB Acoustic Guitar - Sound Characteristics

Hi Michael,

it sounds like the Model Acoustic is a steel strung sample, and the JABB one sounds like a nylon strung instrument - so it's never going to sound the same. You're not going to coax the metallic 'highs' out of the nylon strings

I just changed computers and haven't re-installed JABB yet so can't check what your using.

There are loads of steel strung guitars out there - but surely there's one in JABB?

best

Barrie

Barrie has that totally right on - Nylon strings in JABB, and what you're trying to emulate is Steel, hence that ringing edge to it. But the Nylon is your much Folksier sound, as far as that goes. You'll never get that mellow, muted nylon sound to be anything like the twangy steel string sound.

Barrie - there's only one guitar in JABB, this nylon string model.

Michael, I recently found a free steel string VST and it sounds pretty good - I tried to find it before writing this reply, but couldn't locate it. - I'll look more thoroughly and be back with info--hopefully.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.timesconcept.com/EN/heaudio.asp

They've released a $200 commercial version of this, but the free version is still available on that page. Fairly sophisticated work on this VST. I found out about it through the KVR newsletter (highly recommended) - and the guitar's creators, Times Concept, have a Forum there at KVR.

Randy

Barrie and Randy, thanks for your replies. It's very much appreciated.

Barrie, I can confirm that, as Randy says, there is just the one acoustic guitar in JABB. There are a couple of electric ones in there but just the one acoustic.

Randy thanks very much for the links. I'll certainly go over there and take a look. Sounds interesting.

With thanks again.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Barrie and Randy, thanks for your replies. It's very much appreciated.

Barrie, I can confirm that, as Randy says, there is just the one acoustic guitar in JABB. There are a couple of electric ones in there but just the one acoustic.

Randy thanks very much for the links. I'll certainly go over there and take a look. Sounds interesting.

With thanks again.
    Ah! That's it then - I knew there were more guitars!!

B

I've been using MusicLab's RealGuitar in preference to JABB's when I want an acoustic. I had to pay for it, but I'm glad I did. There's a free demo version to try it out.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Hi, Martin -

"Real Guitar" is fantastic, and since you own it, of course you'll be using that!

But there's no conceivable way to compare it and the JABB acoustic guitar - RG costs more for that one instrument than the entire JABB library!--and the reason for the cost is the huge number of samples, and the clever programming that bring the nuanced sounds and artifacts of an acoustic guitar under your control, along with an excellent library of MIDI clips to use.

In comparison, the JABB guitar is a single set of samples, perhaps 20 samples, one layer, that's it - no room to do more with it, not in the library size-wise or in development budget-wise for the modestly priced JABB.

Randy B.

Hi Randy.

Please don't interpret what I wrote as in any way a criticism of JABB. I have had GPO and JABB for several years now, I use them all the time, and they make me very happy. As regards the price, I never cease to be amazed. Here I have an entire symphony orchestra and a big band, waiting at my beck and call, and all for the price of a meal in a good restaurant -- and I'll still have them when the meal is a memory.

However, as I think you acknowledge, there are some instruments in the libraries which don't fare too well in an exposed situation. I often like to build pieces on a rhythm section which is mostly acoustic guitar and bass, with a bit of solo guitar finger work thrown in. I found for that, I was unable to get the kind of sound I wanted from the JABB guitar, so I looked further afield. Yes, RG is expensive compared to JABB, but it was worth it to me. I thought I would mention it in case Michael was in a similar situation.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Hi, Martin - Good to hear from you again.

I didn't take your earlier posts to be criticisms. I just took the opportunity to explain to people who might find this thread, that Real Guitar is a superb solo instrument which costs as much as the entire Jabb library (more actually), and so rather naturally produces a more convincing solo guitar than the simple acoustic guitar set in Jabb.

In general, all of the Garritan Libraries are strongest when producing ensemble pieces. Moving most any instrument too prominently in a solo spotlight will expose the simplicity of the samples. And by simplicity, I mean that the number of samples, and complexity of their programming has a definite limit in order to keep the Libraries to the relatively small size they are.

The Woodwinds in GPO are definitely exceptions, those soloists hold up well up front in a mix, and there are other exceptions here and there - the Harp!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Martin - Good to hear from you again.

I didn't take your earlier posts to be criticisms. I just took the opportunity to explain to people who might find this thread, that Real Guitar is a superb solo instrument which costs as much as the entire Jabb library (more actually), and so rather naturally produces a more convincing solo guitar than the simple acoustic guitar set in Jabb.

In general, all of the Garritan Libraries are strongest when producing ensemble pieces. Moving most any instrument too prominently in a solo spotlight will expose the simplicity of the samples. And by simplicity, I mean that the number of samples, and complexity of their programming has a definite limit in order to keep the Libraries to the relatively small size they are.

The Woodwinds in GPO are definitely exceptions, those soloists hold up well up front in a mix, and there are other exceptions here and there - the Harp!

Randy

Very well said!
    I have to admit it is what I love about Garritan Libraries. I see them as educational. They only sound their best after proper arrangement skills and musical knowledge have been incorporated.

Before JABB I thought I knew the ins and outs of jazz arranging. After 2 years of experimenting with at at least 2 hours a day my knowledge of jazz has multiplied by probably a thousand!

This library is perfect because it really makes you learn through trial and error and not by some primitive professor giving you a speech on if you don't play like Ellington did in the 20's or if you can't 'wah-wah' using speech-like melody, you can't play jazz. BS!

This wonderful library has set a benchmark in the sampling world. It teaches it's player to put some backbone and elbow-grease into his/her work and it really saddens me that some people go on about how fake and wrong it sounds.

In my honest opinion, JABB and the free course written by Chuck Israels on the forum combined can make JABB sound VERY convincing.

Anyhoo, back on topic. Hope this works for you, Michael.
    When i use my guitar for something a bit more Dixieland, I EQ up the high frequencies a little and then using convolution reverb, I add a little pre-delay. Also on your guitar panel, lower the 'length' a bit to get a more 'hopping' sound.

Go Back to forum