• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO 4 with Aria: Frustrated

Share/Bookmark

GPO 4 with Aria: Frustrated

Hello all,
    Whoops wrong section.
    I recently bought Garritan Personal Orchestra for the purpose of using it during live performances of string sections. However I am running into so many problems I thought I wouldn't have to think about when buying this.

1. Keyswitches in Full Strings KS. I own an 88 key keyboard, but 80% of the keyswitches are below the 88 keys. I only need a few of the keyswitches too. So can I choose where/what keyswitches are assigned? My guess is no. Also, I need to change articulations quickly, so how can I do that without playing stride piano?

2. My sustain pedal does not appear to work with the Full Strings KS. In the manual it says it should. How do I get the sustain pedal to work to play legato passages in strings?

EDIT: 3.5 How do I add split points? Ex: Harp in the left hand, strings in the right.

3. I don't want to use the Aria Player anymore. How do use the Garritan library in a different sampler, such as Ableton Live?

The keyboard I am using is the Yamaha P140 if that makes any difference.
    Sorry if I sound rude, but I get very frustrated when I spend money on software that does not do what I thought it would.

Thanks
    -Will

Re: GPO 4 with Aria: Frustrated

GPO4 is not designed for live performance - it is meant to be used in conjunction with MIDI, sequencing, or notation software. I've been using GPO for years, and I can't imagine a practical method in order to use it for a live performance.

Hi, Will, welcome to Northernsounds and the world of Garritan.

Quote Originally Posted by metroid9824 View Post
    1. Keyswitches in Full Strings KS. I own an 88 key keyboard, but 80% of the keyswitches are below the 88 keys. I only need a few of the keyswitches too. So can I choose where/what keyswitches are assigned? My guess is no. Also, I need to change articulations quickly, so how can I do that without playing stride piano?
    What are you looking for, here? The only way to move the keyswitches up the keyboard would be to impinge on the playable notes. This can be done, however, by editing the sfz file. As for the stride piano acrobatics, once again, do you have any ideas for a better way to change keyswitch articulations? Say, how about a MIDI pedalboard - then you could pick articulations with footswitches and kill two birds with one stone.
    2. My sustain pedal does not appear to work with the Full Strings KS. In the manual it says it should. How do I get the sustain pedal to work to play legato passages in strings?
    Sorry, can't help you here. Does the pedal work with other patches?

EDIT: 3.5 How do I add split points? Ex: Harp in the left hand, strings in the right.
    You have to do this in your controller, sending on two separate MIDI channels mapped to key zone. An outboard software like MIDI Ox could also do this, I believe.

3. I don't want to use the Aria Player anymore. How do use the Garritan library in a different sampler, such as Ableton Live?
    The Aria instruments will work in any sampler that can play sfz format files, with the caveat that they will ignore any Aria-specific sfz opcodes. I couldn't tell you specifically what that means, but for a large part I don't think you will see any difference.

Good luck, Will, and I hope you can get GPO to work the way you want it to. I think that with some perserverance and ingenuity you will be able to.

I doubt that GPO4 will work in any other sfz samplers as there are modules specifically written for various features in ARIA.

The sustain pedal controls legato mode for the strings, not sustain.

Jim

Go Back to forum