• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A World Instrument Library sneak preview - my St. Patty's Day music video

Share/Bookmark

A World Instrument Library sneak preview - my St. Patty's Day music video

I've been having fun with what I call my "Music For The Fun Of It" series at You Tube. So far I've done a music video for Halloween ("The Raven") for Christmas ("O Holy Night") Valentine's day ("Let Me Call You Sweetheart") and now for St. Patty's Day which is coming up, I've done a rendition of the traditional Irish tune, "A rovin."

All of these productions have featured Garritan instruments.

Something a bit different this time is that I've used instruments in Gary's World Library which is still under development.

So here's a sneak preview of this much-anticipated collection of world instruments.

"A rovin" - a St. Patty's Day jubilee

To whet your appetite for this great up-coming Garritan library, the instruments used on this recording are:

--Bandoneon - a small Accordion.

--Irish Harp

--Shepherd's Pipe (a hand made flute).

--Bodhran - hand-held Irish drum.

--Uileann Pipes - something like Scottish Bagpipes, except the sound is more delicate - powered by bellows under the player's arm, instead of blown.

--Guitarron - a folk bass.

--Jaw Harp (we don't say--you know, J**'s harp anymore--do we?).

And the late great Garritan Stradavari is also featured, playing the fiddle line.

There are sound effects mixed in, and Irish-style spoon playing provided by Colby Wallace via a You Tube video I found. Sonar editing managed the extraction and tempo manipulation to make Colby's playing fit in to my rhythm section.

I based the arrangement on a MIDI file first sequenced by Barry Taylor.

Google Images was the resource for all the images of Irish landscapes, pubs, and the female Irish beauties.

Go get in the St. Patty's mood, and catch a glimpse of how great this new library is.

Randy B.

Re: A World Instrument Library sneak preview - my St. Patty's Day music video

Randy,

Very well done all round.

Nice Girls. Family photos?

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    Randy,

Very well done all round.

Nice Girls. Family photos?

Herbert
    Why thank you, Herbert - Cheers me to know you enjoyed my little project.

Family photos? hehehe--No, the women in the video are Irish stars who came up when I Googled for Irish images.

Randy B.

Randy:

"Jaw harp" is a nicer term. It's also called a "mouth harp," but blues harmonica players commonly refer to their instrument as an "harp," so I think "jaw harp" is a better choice.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

Quote Originally Posted by Dean L. Surkin View Post
    Randy:

"Jaw harp" is a nicer term. It's also called a "mouth harp," but blues harmonica players commonly refer to their instrument as an "harp," so I think "jaw harp" is a better choice.
    Great, Dean - I see now that even though the old name pops up often in a Google list of the subject, "Jaw Harp" is the most commonly accepted modern name for the instrument.

When I typed the list, I was surprised to see that in the Beta version of the library, the old term is being used. I didn't want to use that name, so I used the name on a VST of the instrument I've had for quite awhile. But "Blues Harp" isn't right - that refers to a Harmonica. - So -- not sure where that VST's developer got that name.

I'm going to edit my original post. Thanks for the info, Dean!

Randy

Hi Randy,

I don't know anything about St. Patty's Day, but I am immediately attracted to anything Irish...
    so I listened...

As expected from you, a work well done and a wonderful demonstration of those unique instruments.
    I hope they will be available in the near future.

Very much enjoyed,

~Yudit~

Randy:

Glad I could help. And by the way, that's a great hat!
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

Thank you so much, Yudit--Glad you enjoyed!

St. Patrick's Day has a religious origin, not surprisingly, but it's long since been a secular holiday mostly just for good, jovial socializing, and eating Corned Beef with Cabbage!

We have a great and widespread Irish heritage here in The States, and on this holiday, those of us without any actual genealogical connection to Ireland like to be "Irish for a day" - wearing green, wearing Shamrock pins, and tipping some good stout Irish ale.

Thanks again, Dean---the hat--Lol - that was a last minute thing when that head shot was taken for a play program. I wanted to wear a hat, had none with me, so reached into a costume room box and came up with that very old genuine Beaver top hat, complete with its ragged and worn edges.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ... I've used instruments in Gary's World Library which is still under development. ... much-anticipated collection of world instruments. ...
    Is there any official word of the instruments that will be included? (No, I'm not asking to violate a non-disclosure agreement. "No" is a perfectly acceptable response.) I'm particularly wondering about eastern European instruments like
    Gajda - a bagpipe
    Kaval - a soft flute
    Zurna - a double reed thing that can be heard 7 counties away
    Tamburitza - a family of plucked stringed instruments
    Dumbek and Tapan - drums with a high and low (unpitched) sound

Having these would make Balkan musicians happy.

Pat

Hi, Pat - You're right that none of us have permission to publish a list of instruments yet. That's part of what is in the process of being determined, exactly which instruments will make the "final cut."

I will say though---I know that at least some of the instruments on your list are in the Beta of World I've been testing.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum