• Register
  • Help

Topic: Contemplating building a new PC with Windows 7

Houston, TX

Question Contemplating building a new PC with Windows 7

Friends: I have a number of Garritan libraries, JABB, the original Garritan Orchestra, the Stradivarius Violin, the new Steinway Pro library and Concert marching band libraries.
    I have been using them on a 5 year old XP SP3 box, which is getting a bit long in the tooth.
    I have been contemplating building a new PC, with 64 bit Windows 7. I have been using an EMU 404 sound card hooked up to my Roland A80 keyboard. Would it be possible for you all to tell me what updates (and how much they will cost) I need to upgrade my libraries, and whether or not the libraries work well with Windows 7? Thanks so very much in advance for your help!

Chandler, Arizona

Re: Contemplating building a new PC with Windows 7

The Vista drivers for the EMU card are supposed to work in Windows 7. EMU doesn't have Win7 specific drivers as of yet.

The ARIA libraries should work fine (GPO4 and Steinway). JABB and CoMB will be coming out soon for the ARIA player. If you want to continue running them in Kontakt, then your sequencer program will need to use something such as BitBridge to make them work properly but you will have memory limitations. Kontakt 3.5 and up have x64 versions which don't have the memory limitations. The Garritan libraries are not totally compatible with Kontakt 3.5 or 4.0.

You will need an x64 version of your sequencer program to make full use of the memory. I'm using Sonar which is Win7 x64 compatible.

Go Back to forum