• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 is panned like symphonic orchestra?

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 is panned like symphonic orchestra?

GPO4 is panned like symphonic orchestra? i ask becouse i want mix two libraries and other one is pannes like symphonic orchestra. and gpo is one of nicest (all least chromatic percussion,strings and woodwinds) and not very pricey library.

Re: GPO4 is panned like symphonic orchestra?

Quote Originally Posted by JUPEKU View Post
    GPO4 is panned like symphonic orchestra? ...
    This has been discussed several times recently. There is no universal seating arrangement for symphony orchestras. GPO4 is fairly close to some orchestras (but doesn't match the seating arrangement described in the GPO4 doc). You can change the panning manually if you want to.

Pat

Jupeku, you should always feel free to change pannings in any library of instruments you use. When you go to mix GPO with your other orchestral library, I would suggest you have none of the instruments in exactly the same spot. i.e. 1st Strings in one library should be shifted slightly from the position the 1st Strings have in the other library. You'll get a more realistic, full sound.

And as Pat said, there are quite a few different seating arrangements used. Most often they'll vary according to the space available at a given venue. Though there are traditional seating arrangements (GPO's default pans are based on one) there are more modern ones, experimental ones - In other words, you can do whatever you want, whatever you feel sounds good. Don't be afraid to get in there to change the pans/positions of anything you want.

Randy B.

i know but is easier if all 1st violins sits about same area etc. and i actually understand this is huge problem. ps. my other library cannot panned freely becouse samples are stereo and panning makes when i pan for example violins to right these sound much quieiter when i use them orginal position etc. actually computer orchestration is always have problems. and this fact is not prepanned is easier make music small groups like 3 violins,cello,flute,oboe and trombone and timpani. for example.

Hello again, Jupeku

"...i know but is easier if all 1st violins sits about same area etc..."

The important word there is "about" - I didn't mean for you to place the GPO instruments in extremely different positions from your other library. I mean they can be just Slightly different to give you a more full sound.

"...and i actually understand this is huge problem..."

I have never found it a problem really. I just place instruments where ever I want.

I may have a helpful tip for you though:

"...my other library cannot panned freely becouse samples are stereo and panning makes when i pan for example violins to right these sound much quieiter when i use them orginal position etc..."

Yes, that is exactly what happens when panning stereo samples. When you move them opposite from where they are programmed, they will sound much quieter, distant, and not acceptable.

But my tip is that you always have the option to use those instruments in Mono tracks instead of Stereo. In Sonar, which I use, when I place anything new in a project, I always have the choice to make it be stereo or mono. All music software programs have that function I believe.

You sacrifice the stereo recording, but once you are mixing several instruments together, and using a stereo reverb for the mix, the difference is extremely subtle, if noticeable at all. The gain you have is that once you use instruments in Mono tracks, you can freely pan them where ever you want without the sound getting quieter.

"...this fact is not prepanned is easier make music small groups like 3 violins,cello,flute,oboe and trombone and timpani. for example..."

Small ensembles sound especially good with Mono tracks.

If you haven't tried this, I think you should experiment with that method.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum