• Register
  • Help

Topic: Organizing Your Giga Drive...Tips Appreciated

Share/Bookmark

Organizing Your Giga Drive...Tips Appreciated

I posted a similar message in USER TIPS, but in case some of you don\'t go there that might have good advice, let me ask here as well.

I\'ll be getting GIGA in about a week and am wondering what the most efficient way of organizing the drive is. If I create separate folders for say, brass, guitars, violins, celli, etc, that might be well and good but then if one creates a setup that uses patches from each of those folders, now you have the patches stored twice on the drive. How do you guys find the best way to work re this subject? Any tips to the newbie here are greatly appreciated.

Re: Organizing Your Giga Drive...Tips Appreciated

It\'s simpler than you think! Because its a computer, you don\'t have to worry about the samples being duplicated. You can put all your strings in a string folder, and simply access them that way. Or you can use the Quicksound thing, which I ignore. If you create a performance using sounds from various folders, the computer knows where they came from and does not resave the samples, ever! I tend to put an entire library in one folder and put that in a general folder of that genre. ( for example I have a folder called strings which has a bunch of folders in it. (AO, KIRK HUNTER, GARRITAN, ULTIMATE STRINGS, ROLAND etc.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    It\'s simpler than you think! Because its a computer, you don\'t have to worry about the samples being duplicated. You can put all your strings in a string folder, and simply access them that way. Or you can use the Quicksound thing, which I ignore. If you create a performance using sounds from various folders, the computer knows where they came from and does not resave the samples, ever! I tend to put an entire library in one folder and put that in a general folder of that genre. ( for example I have a folder called strings which has a bunch of folders in it. (AO, KIRK HUNTER, GARRITAN, ULTIMATE STRINGS, ROLAND etc.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Nick! I guess I\'m confused because I read a thread up here in the USER TIPS section where someone was talking about the fact that if you had a drum patch, and a bass patch, then made a new setup called DRMS and Bass and copied those two patches into it, you would now have 4 patches saved to the disk...two of them duplicates. If that\'s not true and it works as you say...I feel better already! Thanks again

4.7 gig left on my D drive:

Is it safe to max out a hard drive that holds only *gig files?

ie, performance of GStudio.

Looking to get AO Complete Giga. 3.5 gig I believe.

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.
    www.audiovisionsonline.com

C:\\GIGA\\Peter Siedlaczek\\Woodwinds\\Oboe\\Solo\\Trill\\SoloOboe _MajorTrill.gig

C:\\GIGA\\Peter Siedlaczek\\Strings\\Cello\\Ensemble\\Cellos_susta ined_piano.gig

etc

Tom,

I think the issue with the drms and bass came in with regards to editing instruments.

In broad terms, it works as follows:

1) You have various gig files - each gig file holds a pool of samples, and one or more instruments that use those samples. e.g. there is a gig file for the Nemesys Grand Piano aka Gigapiano: one instrument in the gig file is the full piano, including release-triggered samples, the other instrument is a \"lite\" piano that does not have the release trigger, etc. They use the same samples, which are stored only once on the harddrive (because both instruments are inside the same gig file).

2) There are the GSP (performance) files - such a file just basically contains info about what gig-instruments were assigned to which ports & channels, the settings of the midi faders, the effects settings, etc. - all related to a particular \"performance\"

So you can quite happily load instruments from any directory on any drive (provided of course all these drives are fast enough) - the performance file points to where all of these things are stored.

3) If now you decide to edit a gig file, e.g. to take the Gigapiano and change it to sound \"darker\" - most people will then create a copy of the original gig and edit the copy (for obvious reasons).

In *this* case, you now have two copies of the same samples on your harddrive, because each gig file contains all the samples associated with the instruments in that gig file.

However, if an edit does not involve changing the actual samples, but only sampler playback parameters (envelope, layering, filtering, whatever) - well then the existing gig file can just be taken and a new instrument added to it, with these edited parameters. In *this* case, there is still only the one set of samples referred to, and hence it does not take up additional harddrive space.

In this regard Giga has also been designed to be quite powerfull - for example, it is possible to set unity notes and looping points on a sample basis or on a region basis - the first obviously has impact on all the instruments in a gig file, while the second makes it possible to vary the sample parameters for a particular instrument without affecting the samples themselves, and hence the other instruments in the gig file.

Francis,

You should have no problem. Maxing out the program drive (C is usually only an issue because one never knows how much temp space various applications and Windows is going to need.

The only downside to maxing out a gigs drive, is that performance of the drive (in terms of giga\'s all-important access time) is better for files at the *beginning* of the drive, rather than at the end.

If this becomes an issue, tools like Norton Defrag have the facility of placing your most popular files at the beginning of the drive, to enhance performance for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cc:
    Tom,

I think the issue with the drms and bass came in with regards to editing instruments.

In broad terms, it works as follows:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CC...thanks so much for taking time to clear this up. It sounds like Giga works very much like the Roland system I\'ve been used to.

I\'m getting a bit nervous as the Gigasampler is ships to me tomorrow and soon I\'ll be dealing with it...nervous, and very excited at the same time. Thanks for your input. I will no doubt be posting some dumb questions over the next weeks as I get used to things....thanks for all of your patience...

Go Back to forum