• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to do open crash cymbal?

Share/Bookmark

How to do open crash cymbal?

Hello everyone.

Don't really know where to post it (here's so many sub-forums) so I'm trying here...

I've just become a happy user of GPO4 and I have a problem. (I tried manual but nothing founded).

How to make open crash cymbal in Sibelius 6 using GPO4?
    On a score for cymbal I have only one line for it, and in Aria sampler I see different options for how to play it (crash as well) but just cannot change it because I have only one line.

I'm sure you know how to solve it.

Thanks

Re: How to do open crash cymbal?

Ryshard, can't you move the percussion note head on that simple one line stave so it triggers the correct corresponding note in GPO?

Or can't you use a 2 or 3 line percussion stave and also move the note to where it belongs-?

Finding which note you need is of course easy enough, by clicking on Aria's piano until you discover the crash cymbal's note.

Randy B.

I can at least tell you that the crash cymbal is located on D#5 of the keyboard. I have a chart that someone (a long time ago) put together of all the Percussion instruments and the notes that trigger them. I am not sure where you can find that now, but maybe someone know. That plus all the KeySwitches for the instruments I have put on a couple of sheets of paper (printed) and laminated them so they would last. Comes in really handy at times, especially when my brain is not working.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I can at least tell you that the crash cymbal is located on D#5 of the keyboard. ...
    But Sibelius will request GPO's "notation" instruments. The keyswitch notes for notation instruments is in the lowest octave. I think that's the -1 octave.

Rather than inserting the notes into a staff it might be easier to just include a MIDI message in the score: ~Nn,1 and ~On,1. The lower case "n" is the note number which would be 0-11 for the lowest octave. I think the NoteOff can immediately follow the NoteOn. (I'm guessing that velocity isn't important but should probably be non-zero ... at least for the NoteOn.)

I've been meaning to try this but haven't yet.

Pat

Hi, thanks for replies. I think I wasn't precise enough...

So... When I create a single line cymbal "track" in sibelius and put a note there I can hear only a C note (closed cymbal?). If I move note up or down the staff I can't hear anything, sounds only on that line.

When I create 5 line percussion staff I can hear only C note too (like a tambourine snare). In this case it's from Percussion Toys. When I move a note along the staff on each position I still hear only C note, even when it's on G for example. (tambourine).

For me It seams like Sibelius or GPO are not programmed to read percussion actions. I wouldn't be able to make percussion beats as well, because all I can hear is only the first main C note from percussion sets. There must be a way to fix it... but don't know how to do it.

When I opened Aria, I saw different sounds on a different keys, when I pressed them I heard different sounds, but I cannot make it sound on a staff.

P.s.: I don't have a Midi Keyboard so I don't really know what is all of that "octave change" and so...

Thanks a lot, I feel very upset that such small thing is such a pain in the a...

pokeefe,
    I think you misunderstood what I said:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichR
    I can at least tell you that the crash cymbal is located on D#5 of the keyboard. ...

But Sibelius will request GPO's "notation" instruments. The keyswitch notes for notation instruments is in the lowest octave. I think that's the -1 octave
    First, the note D#5 is the pitch of the selection for an cymbal crash. It is not a key switch. Percussion notes are spread across a keyboard so that each is assigned its own key (a keymap so to speak).

Ryshard,

Have you tried using a non-percusision notation staff for the cymbals. I used to have to do this in Finale before this latest version came out which mapped the notation system correctly to GPO. You should try using a normal treble clef notation system for the cymbal and see if that solves the problem.

Also there are no open or closed cymbals in GPO. Those terms imply a HiHat which is only found in JaBB. There are crash cymbals and choke cymbal (which is a crash that is stopped from vibrating). There are a number of different types of cymbals as well. There are 11 different types of cymbals and cymbal hits starting at C5 on a keyboard and going up to A#5 (which is a cymbal roll with crescendo). If you have a keyboard, try playing those notes and hear the different sounds for yourself.

I hope this helps a little.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I second using the regular treble or bass clef staff. I generally find it much easier to keep up with the various percussion instruments that way.
    John

This is probably way too late for the original poster, but for anyone who came across this thread, as I did, looking for an answer to this question...

One effective (but a bit kludgey) solution I found for GPO4 + Sibelius 6 on Win XP was to use the following procedure to change the default cymbal crash soundID to select an open ringing piatti sound (it doesn't allow you to select your preferred cymbal clash in your score, but gives what I think it a better default sound)
    • go to Sibelius sounds directory. On my machine: C:\Progam Files\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 6\Sounds
    • backup, then edit "Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.xml"
    • search for "unpitched.metal.cymbal.clash"
    • you should find two sections referencing this SoundID, each with three similar entries: ...clash, ...clash.2 and ...clash.3
    • swap the pitch definitions for clash and clash.2, clash = 85, clash.1 = 84
    • save file and restart sibelius

Hope this helps anyone who comes to this thread with the same problem.

-- GRoo

Go Back to forum