• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Music for an Unwritten Film

Music for an Unwritten Film

I have wanted to write for a film for years. This may be as close as I get. Then again...one never knows. I wrote this over a couple nights, then spent the last week tweaking it. This is for full orchestra and was done on Finale '09. The melody begins in the oboe and then is passed around the orchestra. The one instrument I wish sounded better is the trumpet solo. It's much too loud and brittle but I couldn't do anything to change the timbre of the trumpet. I tried other trumpets, including the ones from JABB, but they just didn't sound right, so I stayed with the Sams Trumpet solo. All comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gary A.

Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

HP Pavilion Elite, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 12 gig ram, 1 terabyte hd., E-MU 0404, Korg K61, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Re: Music for an Unwritten Film

I liked your piece a lot - played it several times.
    Lovely melody & orchestration - great mood - better than a lot of movie music!
    I have thought of writing movie scores, but aside from the money I think there must be a lot of hard work timing the music. I also understand there are a lot of people telling you what they want you to write for each scene.
    I wrote a pseudo score for "The Da Vinci Code" after reading it. It turned out to be a suite of highlights, but it was fun. I just wrote what I felt.
    Unfortunatly I haven't put it on my web site, but there is a lot of other orchestral music there (http://www.gygardner.com).
    I would appreciate any suggestions for improving the orchestrations and use of GPO.
    I also use Finale (2010) with GPO. I love the tools, but have to work hard to get the strings to sound good. I find it helps to double the flute with the high violin.
    I'll look for you in future movie credits.
    Jeff Gardner

Hi Gary,

This is really lovely music that is very suitable for a movie!

It's good to see that you overcame your momentary doubt
    about composing (as expressed in your other thread).

For my taste there's too much reverb at the beginning,
    especially with the piano.
    The strings come in a bit pale and not expressive enough,
    but then it all streams and swells nicely.

Looking forward to your next piece.

Very, VERY nice work Gary. Lovely, lush, evocative.

Film music in the best sense of the term.

Beautiful Gary! It has everything in it you would want for a film.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Is it me or did you change the overall setting between this afternoon and now (European time!)? Just for the sake of trying whenever possible, at about 00:50 there is nothing going on but the piano and later the oboe comes in, maybe then you can add a great counter melody with a solo violin as you do with the flutes a bit later.... give it a try for a couple of bars/measures.

That trumpet solo is great but you want a mellower sound? Try using a plugin like Tube..-warmer on just that track or (be careful) use an equalizer (not my choice).

It is a great piece, giving pace and peace to my mind. Which movie? No movie, just contemplation....... I played it twice.

Nice vibe and overall production. I didn't care for the string sound at around 0.19. It sounds thin and phasey. However, they sound fine around the 3.00 mark, then funny at about 3.20, fine at 3.54. I'm not sure what the issue is, but you're really close to a very nice tone.

Suburban NYC

Hi Gary,

Very nice job ... I enjoyed the contemplative listen. I liked the orchestration and the ebb and flow of it. I thought your rendering was excellent ... I would never have thought it was cut from Finale.

The piece had a nice spaciousness to it, which seems to me, to be a hallmark of modern score recordings.

Yes, very beautiful and very good rendering!

Very cinematic, very lovely. Whether for a film or not, it made for a beautiful listening experience.

The rendering was also quite well done!

Thanks for sharing this.
    Ron Pearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast