• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX and DP7

Stylus RMX and DP7

When I have Stylus RMX plug-in open and selected, I can't hit the space bar to play my sequence (DP7). I have to click back on my sequencer (DP7) before I can hit the space bar to play it? not liking that!

Any ideas?

Thanks a million for any suggestions.

Re: Stylus RMX and DP7

Are you running Leopard or snow leopard by any chance? Intel or PPC?

I believe it is because the latest RMX and Omnisphere, etc...from Spectrasonics all use cocoa graphics code from Leopard on for their graphics and because DP7 still uses a carbon framework...it means it is a MOTU issue to solve.

On a G5 running Tiger 10.4.11, DP7 has no problems with this because the plug-in is still working on the carbon framework...but upgrading to leopard or later, the problem appears.

It is my understanding when MOTU upgrades DP7 to be all cocoa...the problem will go away. The problem then is it will then be an Intel only, leopard and later requirement and PPC support will then have to be left behind.

The details above may be a bit wrong here and there. It is sometimes confusing to understand all the technical stuff when it was only explained once to me, but it is something like that.
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

The problem is a flaw in the way DP handles all Cocoa-based plugins and occurs in various versions of OSX and DP. Older audio unit plugins are not Cocoa-based, but many new or modern audio unit plugins, like Spectrasonics instruments, are Cocoa-based. This trend will grow and the number of plugins which are Cocoa-based will increase. In fact, to be 64 bit, a plugin must be Cocoa-based. Given the importance of 64 bit support to musicians (Logic and VSL VEPro are now 64 bit on the Mac (by the way, no other host has this flaw)), Cocoa-based plugins will soon be the rule rather than the exception.

If this problem matters you, I would highly recommend you contact MOTU (http://www.motu.com/techsupport) and let them know you think MOTU should be giving this problem high priority.

- Glenn

P.S. Always check the FAQs at support.spectrasonics.net when you have a question about Spectrasonics instruments. For example, you'll find this question answered there.

Thumbs up Re: Stylus RMX and DP7

Brian and Glenn, Thank you !

I've emailed MOTU.

I have not personally tried it yet...but reports from Motunation.com are that the recent DP7.11 release fixes this problem (somehow) and all plug-ins work properly now. So...if you have the latest version of DP, you might want to upgrade and see if that fixes it for you.
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Go Back to forum