Of course I can download the "demo"-version, but before I'll do that the following issues:
- Inputting from MIDI keyboard. Suppose a piece in D major, it has two sharps. I input a C# on my keyboard, will it be notated as C# or as Db;
- Inputting manually, via mouse. When I need an extra sharp I must type in some "triggering-key" for the sharp. Is the scope of the triggering only on that note in question or do I have to "untrigger" it before inputting the next note;
- Inputting manually - mouse - do I need that "triggering" on notes that are by nature sharps/flats set by the key of the piece;
- Can I select a block of notes and tell Finale to apply enharmonic defaults to all notes within that block?
- Suppose an octave (piano) A and I want to make it A#, can I do that with only one instruction or do I have to set the sharp at both A's (so two instructions needed)
- Can I assign the trill speed and the moment of trill starts;
- Can I assign the nature of the trill - a second, third or else.
- Can I tell the glissando to do this only on white keys;
- Can I set the starting moment of the glissando;
- Can I set some property to the glissando to make a trombone glissando more realistic/a violin glissando more realistic
- Is it possible to select the whole piece and tell to fill in all empty bars/measures with the appropriate rests;
- Does that automated rest filling procedure follow the rules that after some eigth notes (incomplete beat/bar/measure) the first rest is another 8th value and the rest of the measure is filled with augmenting rest values (you know, first that 8th rest symbol, then a quarter rest, then if needed the half value;
- Do I have to put in rests on more voices separately when I have a multi-voice staff or is Finale clever enough to set/display only one rest when both voices don't have notes at that beat;
- Setting a slur (legato) on divisi for strings is this just one action or should I set two slurs for both voices and does Finale display two slurs
- Setting a slur across pages, is sometimes very hard to do. How does Finalye this?
- Mainly for piano scores. Both hands can each play separate voices - often done - should I set e.g. an "f" separately for both voices or does this "f" apply to all voices
- Does Finaly has hairpin settings where you can put in the beginning value, the midvalue and the endvalue. Overture gives you a graph which you can alter/draw yourself. By the way, Overture isn't very strong in maintaining the dynamic settings.
- Can I myself decide to drag the dynamics up or down the staff
Accents and other stuff
Two voices (divisi) on violin staff. Accents can be placed just above this "chord" , above and below for both notes individually or in just one instructionFormatting the page
Is the formatting following the "driver" specs of the attached printer?Using other libraries than Garritan
- Is it possible to use other sample libs in Finale and does Finale react on all articulations set in the score at they should. Using GPO a "pizzicato" triggers Fx, but using "Ultimate strings" must trigger a pizzicato effect. Can I do that (maybe with some macro-programming).
- Do they also play in real-time when inputting the notes?
Can I export staff by staff, a group of staffs or must I always export the whole piece to audio?Midi settings
Is there a way to alter the Midi representation, e.g. velocities of piano strokes?Now you say, RTFM. That is true, but where can I download that manual? I've seen some video stuff on Finale, but most of the issues above aren't highlighted. It is like the demo-version of Hell, Bill Gates saw (that well know joke).
Maybe you say, why don't you try it, that downloadable demo-version? I should/will/do but when you are so kind to answer these questions then I don't have to pollute my system with all sorts of remaining registry entries and orphaned .dll's which are never removed by the installation programs.
Raymond - still at sabattical, but preparing for the near future of my muisc making.