• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sampling A Musician - How much to pay them?

Share/Bookmark

Sampling A Musician - How much to pay them?

Hi,

I\'ve decided to build my own libraies, now I need to go out and hire a musician for a night in the home studio. More than likely they are only going to have to play some scales and a few chords. What do you think would be a fair price?

Re: Sampling A Musician - How much to pay them?

The best thing to do is set an hourly rate. Most symphony guys are going to want at least union scale though. Do it on an hourly rate rather than a \"set price\" because the session WILL run longer than you anticipate and this will prevent the performer from getting mad and you trying to figure how much extra to him/her.

Donnie

Thank you for your comments. I agree with the hourly rate idea. What about the legal implications? Do I need to tell them I plan on sampling their sound for future projects? Can they come back at me down the road and sue me? If they get \"paid\" for their time can\'t I legally do anything I want with their recorded efforts?

I think that you need to get some sort of written consent. Again, I think this is right. Nick or Dan could probably be more specific as I\'m sure they have done this a bunch. Luckily all I\'ve done so far is percussion so I haven\'t had to pay anyone!

Donnie

Go Back to forum