• Register
  • Help

Topic: An idea for demos....

Share/Bookmark

An idea for demos....

I have an idea that might help the consumer when choosing libraries. There seems to be a frequent theme that guys (and girls) hear demos that sound fantastic then shell out the money for the samples and can\'t figure out how the heck the demo got that sound.

I would suggest developers do two versions of their demos. One with just the sounds and no eq or processing. Maybe a little reverb but that\'s it. Then a second one with whatever processing they want to do.

To me this really seperates the usability of the library. The home user can get a good idea of what to expect with little work and the pro and see the full potential of the library.

FYI...all the demos I have been posting including the Dan Dean have nothing but reverb added to them..

Donnie

Re: An idea for demos....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donnie:
    I have an idea that might help the consumer when choosing libraries. There seems to be a frequent theme that guys (and girls) hear demos that sound fantastic then shell out the money for the samples and can\'t figure out how the heck the demo got that sound.

I would suggest developers do two versions of their demos. One with just the sounds and no eq or processing. Maybe a little reverb but that\'s it. Then a second one with whatever processing they want to do.

To me this really seperates the usability of the library. The home user can get a good idea of what to expect with little work and the pro and see the full potential of the library.

FYI...all the demos I have been posting including the Dan Dean have nothing but reverb added to them..

Donnie
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Donnie, what you suggest would be helpful, but ultimately, the only way people get to know whether a product is good for them is to try it out. That\'s why sample makers should offer...for a price...a demo CD of a few patches or setups...something to give the end user a handle. I was glad to see that someone posted up here the name of a company now doing that. Otherwise, it\'s hit or miss, and with libraries that can cost 600.00 and more, it\'s too much of a risk for anyone but millionaires to throw money at things and continually be let down. With no refunds, no allowing the end user to sell the CD, it\'s a bad position for the buyer all around. If the sample developer knows his stuff is that good, he\'ll know that the guy who buys the demo CD is going to go for the whole thing.

I\'d be worried about the developers unwilling to do this, frankly.

Your demos are one of the very few I\'ve ever heard that are good enough that I would have no problem buying your products without trying them out first.

Tom,

You make some excellent points and I am very interested in finding new ways to help users like yourself.
    Would sending out a high quality cd with examples be more helpful than listening off the web? Maybe an indepth cd with vocal explinations as well as isolated demos. The only problem I would see with sending a demo with smaller files to try out is that some people would get these and be content with them. I know this may sound paranoid but I have to be play devil\'s advocate on this. For example, lets say someone wants a marimba and I send them a \"light\" version of my marimba. Well that person may decide that it\'s good enough for what they need so they just continue to use the light version. So why would they now want to spend $199 on the full thing when they have a free version that may just suit their needs just fine? I\'m not saying that this would always happen but it certainly could.

Sean and I have been kicking around the idea of a super extensive demo cd that we could send out that would have full ensemble examples and lots of isolated examples where you can hear the individual instrument by themselves. This is a problem sometimes because instruments can get lost in a dense orchestration and you can\'t really make out what they sound like. This disc would also have commentary on the making of the sounds as well as uses for them.

What do you think?

Donnie

it\'s the only way to listen the real thing!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by donnie:
    [B]Tom,

You make some excellent points and I am very interested in finding new ways to help users like yourself.
    Would sending out a high quality cd with examples be more helpful than listening off the web? Maybe an indepth cd with vocal explinations as well as isolated demos. The only problem I would see with sending a demo with smaller files to try out is that some people would get these and be content with them. I know this may sound paranoid but I have to be play devil\'s advocate on this. For example, lets say someone wants a marimba and I send them a \"light\" version of my marimba. Well that person may decide that it\'s good enough for what they need so they just continue to use the light version. So why would they now want to spend $199 on the full thing when they have a free version that may just suit their needs just fine? I\'m not saying that this would always happen but it certainly could.\"

Donnie, I think the CD idea is a good one, if done well, and yes, I\'m sure what you\'re proposing in that scenario about the guy with demo patch could, and would, happen. You\'d have to charge enough for the demo that it made sense to take a loss once in awhile. If the buyer of the demo went on to purchase the full deal, he\'d provide his receipt for the demo and get it credited toward the whole package.

But regarding the CD, if it\'s done right, it can work. Here\' s an example of why I know it works...it happened to me.
    For years I used Roland samplers (still have one) and I bought the Roland Orchestral disks years ago...at the time about 500.00...based on an excellent CD Roland sent out by Eric Persing. It had a lot cuts on it, and on the sleeve, it told which patches he used for each cut. The music was very good, it was recorded extremely well, and seeing the patches listed was definitely convincing for me. I bought it, and was not disappointed. Stil use it today. In fact, Roland had a series of disks....\"Rhythm Section\" \"Orchestra Strings\" Orchestral Brass,\" etc, and this audio demo by Eric used patches from all of them. So I ended up getting them all because of this demo, and none of them disappointed me. This might be a way for you to go. Listing the patches gives the potential buyer some real concrete evidence that what he hears on the demo is attainable.

Thanks for listening.

I agree with ya D, about the demoss The produced version shows what is actually attainable, adn the \"dry\" version shows what you get \"out of the box\" Also multiple clips showing the different articulations is a plus. Not jsut \"songs\" with the articulations but isolated spots showing what the articulation sounds like and how it sounds \"played\"

then a couple of \"produced\" demos both Eqd/verbed...and even with other libraries.. then an isolated track of just whats from the library

its alot to ask for on the net....but a demo CD of it wouldn\'t be bad.

by the way....off topic If I buy UOP next week will I be SOL with it when you unveil your new secret...or will it be a benefit by having UOP...or even add to UOP ? Just wondering cuz I also want DD Solo Brass when it releases..and man I need to make sure I budget correctly... I even cut back on the ale.....

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Donnie,

I like the idea of supplying the midi file & gsp of the demos with the library, so that a person can see for himself how the library was used to create the demo.

What I would like as an additional demo before buying a library, would be a gig or two (that can be downloaded), containing not a lite version of the instrument, but only a mapped note or two or three.

While this is clearly going to be difficult for percussion, I think it will work like a charm for things like GOS or DD woodwinds, since it will allow one to try out the expression capabilities, etc., without really being able to do anything with it.

This is similar to the soundware stuff supplied with Gigastudio.

Of course you will always find people who will get away with just using one octave of the peter ewers organ - however, I do think that by giving a *little* bit away, you will whet the appetite of so many more people, and hence probably grow a much larger market much more quickly!

As well, I suppose it would be quite feasibile to even make a full-featured \"lite\" version of a patch, then put it up for download but *charge* (a nominal amount) for this download. So you are recouping some investment, giving more people the opportunity to pay a little money (more affordable) for something they can use, whetting peoples appetites and permitting people to test-drive a library for a fraction of the cost, *after* they have heard the conventional demos.

Go Back to forum