• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: String Experiment #2

Share/Bookmark

String Experiment #2

Made in Finale 2010 with the Garritan sounds that came with it. Although I made it mostly just to see what I could do with the mixer and strings, I would like to get some opinions on it. Let's just say that musical analysis is not one of my strengths. My music composition professor always goes on about how I went from this chord to that chord and it creates this effect, and by raising this note, and lowering this one I caused it to do this and that, but it never seems to stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qMfT-jWTk

Re: String Experiment #2

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    Made in Finale 2010 with the Garritan sounds that came with it. Although I made it mostly just to see what I could do with the mixer and strings, I would like to get some opinions on it. Let's just say that musical analysis is not one of my strengths. My music composition professor always goes on about how I went from this chord to that chord and it creates this effect, and by raising this note, and lowering this one I caused it to do this and that, but it never seems to stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_qMfT-jWTk

If you ask me .... after listening to your music I say listen to your professor, listen very well. Give your music that extra value. Get into those things he tries to teach you, they are not unneccessary.

Well, you asked for opinions, did't you
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Michael,
    Your strings sound VERY good to me. I have to work very hard to get my strings to sound even

close to that. I am working with Finale 2010 and the original GPO Studio with the Kontakt player.
    A year or 2 ago I tried the GPO instruments in Finale and found them poor compared to GPO

stand-alone. Maybe I should reconsider.
    If you go on my web site (www.gygardner.com) and play some of the Travelog album (for example

"San Antonio" of "Dear Old Vienna") you'll appreciate how good your strings sound.
    As for the orchestration, I agree with Hannes F. It is a tricky art. I studied with a private tutor for 7

years to learn the basic principles. But it makes composition a lot more fun when you have a

good idea where you are trying to go and how to get there.

Jeff Gardner

I'll see if I can get a screen shot for the mixer to post here for my string settings. Spent about an hour or so tweaking things to get them to sound like that.

I'd love to see the details of what you did.
    Jeff

Hopefully you'll be able to see the numbers for stuff well enough. I'm not the best with screen shots/editing them. lol

Top left: Violins
    Top right: Violas
    Bottom left: Cellos
    Bottom Right: Double Bases

Far bottom right is the sound levels. I further adjusted them in the smaller mixer that allows control over the sound levels for the individual instruments.

The string sound is nice in this piece.

I am a little confused though. You show a picture of 4 reverb units (Garritan Ambience is the reverb). but behind it (in the lower right background of your picture) I see the Finale VST mixer. And, most important, I see the Master Volume slider set at 200 with a red circle next to it. That red circle means there is digital distortion which is a very bad sound. I hear it in the rhythmic low strings patterns.

The red indicator is for digital distortion and you should pull the slider back until it doesn't turn red any more. It looks as though you are using foru instances of GPO4 or Finale Garritan instruments as a way of mixing. There are better ways in Finale. Look at the ARIA engine itself. You can set the amount of reverb for each instrument and the overall volume for each instrument as well. This is a much better way of adjusting the sounds and blend of all instruments.

Look also at Finale's mixer (Windows/instrument mixer menu). Turn that main volume up or down to get the overall sound level you are looking for. You can also adjust each instruments volume separately in the mix.

I am just giving you some ideas that may or may not help you. You may have already explored these areas, but just in case you haven't than these are some ideas that may help. Most importantly, make sure you have no digital distortion.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Replies in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    The string sound is nice in this piece.

I am a little confused though. You show a picture of 4 reverb units (Garritan Ambience is the reverb). but behind it (in the lower right background of your picture) I see the Finale VST mixer. And, most important, I see the Master Volume slider set at 200 with a red circle next to it. That red circle means there is digital distortion which is a very bad sound. I hear it in the rhythmic low strings patterns.

I'm not sure why it's red in that instance. It wasn't red when I made the wav file, and when I just went to look now, it's not red.

The red indicator is for digital distortion and you should pull the slider back until it doesn't turn red any more. It looks as though you are using foru instances of GPO4 or Finale Garritan instruments as a way of mixing.

This is correct.

There are better ways in Finale. Look at the ARIA engine itself. You can set the amount of reverb for each instrument and the overall volume for each instrument as well. This is a much better way of adjusting the sounds and blend of all instruments.

Unless you're using a different Finale than I am, I have not seen any way to adjust the individual amount of reverb in the ARIA engine.

Look also at Finale's mixer (Windows/instrument mixer menu). Turn that main volume up or down to get the overall sound level you are looking for. You can also adjust each instruments volume separately in the mix.

I've found this quite helpful.

I am just giving you some ideas that may or may not help you. You may have already explored these areas, but just in case you haven't than these are some ideas that may help. Most importantly, make sure you have no digital distortion.

That's the one thing I can't figure out. According to the VST mixer, there's no digital distortion, even though I haven't changed anything since I took the screen shot of the mixer. How confusing...

There are better ways in Finale. Look at the ARIA engine itself. You can set the amount of reverb for each instrument and the overall volume for each instrument as well. This is a much better way of adjusting the sounds and blend of all instruments.

Unless you're using a different Finale than I am, I have not seen any way to adjust the individual amount of reverb in the ARIA engine.
    Are you using Finale instruments for Garritan or the GPO4 with Aria? This would make a bit of difference in how you can mix in ARIAs reverb, pan position and levels. The basic ARIA for Finale is a little more basic.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I'm using the Garritan instruments + ARIA player that came packaged with Finale 2010.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast