• Register
  • Help

Topic: Solo Flute, contemporary classical

Solo Flute, contemporary classical

Something I wrote in the early 80's that GPO 4 let me realize. Thanks Gary!

More info and online streaming at: http://chrisvaisvil.com/?p=116

Re: Solo Flute, contemporary classical

It's an interesting piece, with a decent balance between tonal and atonal, and to the point. I think it's rather difficult to write for solo flute, so you have my admiration.

With respect to the rendering, I think the sound could have improved a bit with a slow(er) increase of the mod wheel data at some points, and a slightly louder and longer ending.

Good job.

Thanks for the listen and comment Theo.

I think, now having listened to it for a while, I agree about the ending. Certainly the last note could be louder.

I like the piece and as Theo said solo unaccompanied wind instruments are indeed a difficult medium in which to write. I think you did a fine job on this piece, but it is too short. I would really like to hear some more development of your ideas. You have some excellent motivic ideas in this little piece that you could certainly build on.

Thanks for the listen, I enjoyed it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the listen and comment. This encourages me to press ahead with my contemporary classical music!

I will admit I have some difficulty in expanding on themes. I wonder if there are any references to help with that.

There's a tendency to feel that further writing will diminish what is finished. According to most solo pieces, you can think of at least two contrasting movements.
    Change tempo; change key; change the mood, etc.

Hi Gary,

Yes I agree. There is a talent in balancing repetition and change. I'm not so much afraid of adding on more as I'm very sensitive to the issue of making connections that the listener couldn't possibly be aware of and therefore only works for the composer. On some level that type of view is useful but for example it is difficult to have a casual listener relate to a tone row - especially when the row becomes very abstract.

I have some piano sonatas (not duodecophonic) that are very coherent on a micro scale that I think no one but me can recognize on a macro scale. This is one aspect of composition that has been difficult for me to bend to my will.

Perhaps though expanding this piece - trying to grasp this at the simplest is a very good idea.

Go Back to forum