• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale not Interpreting Articulations

Share/Bookmark

Finale not Interpreting Articulations

I'm using Finale 2010 with the Garritan VST instruments.
    Finale is not interpreting the articulations for the KS instruments.
    (e.g. "arco" and "pizz" for Violin KS)

Is there a setting someplace that will enable this? (It worked fine in Finale 2009.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to shed some light on this.

Barb

Re: Finale not Interpreting Articulations

this can be caused by a couple of common errors:

1. are you using violins from the notation folder? (only instruments from the notation folder will have their keyswitches in the correct place to be interpreted by Finale)
    2. are you using HumanPlayback to hear your music or spacebar+click playback? (if HP isn't turned on, I believe that Finale does not interprest keyswitches)
    3. are you using articulations that have some form of MIDI data assigned to them? (extraneous MIDI information can confuse HP into not recognizing the need for keyswitches)
    4. and the final error: is the staff named "violin"? (a staff with an incorrect staff name will not trigger a keyswitch. for a violin KS to be triggered, HP needs to know that the staff is a violin staff)

hope some of this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bmurrin View Post
    I'm using Finale 2010 with the Garritan VST instruments.
    Finale is not interpreting the articulations for the KS instruments.
    (e.g. "arco" and "pizz" for Violin KS)

Is there a setting someplace that will enable this? (It worked fine in Finale 2009.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to shed some light on this.

Barb
    There is a long thread in the 'Personal Orchestra' Forum which includes detailed discussion on articulations in Finale 2010. I posted some sample mp3 and Finale (.mus) files demonstrating working articulations. There may be something there that will help. The link is:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=70653
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    and the final error: is the staff named "violin"? (a staff with an incorrect staff name will not trigger a keyswitch. for a violin KS to be triggered, HP needs to know that the staff is a violin staff)
    If the staff name is in another language like German, Italian, or French, would that also prevent key-switches from working?
    Zacharias Paul Gustav Büchner
    ComposerTrumpeter

Go Back to forum